No. 3 UNC field hockey takes down Maine 3-1 behind 2 goals from Lauren Moyer

After dropping an intense 2-1 game to No. 18 Boston College on Friday, the No. 3 North Carolina field hockey team had a chip on its shoulder coming into the matchup against No. 20 Maine on Sunday, defeating the Black Bears 3-1.

The Tar Heels (6-2) came out attacking early, and were able to find the back of the cage three times en route to the 3-1 victory over the Black Bears (6-2). Scoring early is a key component for UNC, and the Tar Heels were able to do just that today, with a goal by Lauren Moyer just 7 minutes in to grab a 1-0 lead. 

Maine was not going down without a fight, scoring just ten minutes after UNC to knot the score up at 1. That lead only stood for a few minutes, though, until Moyer scored again to take a 2-1 lead. The Tar Heels would hold this lead the rest of the way, tacking on an insurance goal by Catherine Hayden in the second half.

Lauren Moyer continued her scoring tear this weekend, netting her fifth and sixth goals of the season. The senior efficiently converted two of her three shots into goals for the Tar Heels.

The score in this one was decided with 15 minutes left in the first half, when Lauren Moyer’s shot slipped by the keeper, but the real determining factor in this one was the Tar Heels' efficiency. After finishing only one of 17 shots on Friday, North Carolina was able to score on 3 of its 10 shots on Sunday.

Confidence and momentum. The Tar Heels gained a little bit of both with the win today, and it will be much needed with a matchup against No.1 Syracuse coming up on Friday.

The Tar Heels will host No. 1 Syracuse on Friday at 6 p.m.

@WBOD3