UPDATE 5:01 p.m.: Over 20 buildings across campus lost power Monday morning. The buildings included the Ackland Art Museum, UNC Student Stores, the Carolina Inn, Morehead Planetarium and the Lineberger Cancer Research Center. 

UPDATE 4:49 p.m.: According a statement from Phil Barner, director of Energy Services, the power outage, which occurred at 10:46 a.m. on Monday morning, was caused by a larger system outage. 

"Electric Distribution crews investigated and returned electric service to all circuits at the Cameron Avenue substation by 11:08 a.m.," the statement said. 

The statement said Energy Services are still working to understand the specific cause of the outage. 

After a brief outage, power is back on in many campus buildings and UNC is working with Duke Energy to restore power to the rest.

Power went out in the Undergraduate Library, the Student Union, Lenoir Dining Hall and a number of other buildings, including the Hanes Art Center, the Campus Y, Carroll Hall, Manning Hall and Bingham Hall.

A chance of rain continues in the area until Wednesday, the National Weather Service said.

This story will be updated as The Daily Tar Heel learns the cause of the outage.