Pro-capitalism group makes UNC debut

Crystal Clanton, national field director of Turning Point, said they are not similar to groups such as College Republicans.

“We are not affiliated with any political party or any political candidate,” Clanton said. “We’re also a non-profit, so we’re not able to endorse candidates or support candidates or anything like that.”

McCain Kerr, president of UNC’s chapter, said he is appreciative of Turning Point’s single-minded goal.

“It is an activism-based group and our goal is not linked with any political party, it is just solely based off free-market capitalism and a laissez-faire style of government,” Kerr said.

Sarah Ford, secretary of the chapter, said she is glad the non-profit does not try to change anyone’s mind.

“It’s really just ‘Here are the facts. We’ll let you decide what you want to do with them,’” she said.

Ford and Robert Raikin, treasurer of the chapter, initially showed interest in starting a new chapter to the national office, and Kerr was asked to be president.

“Turning Point reached out to me, actually,” Kerr said. “I had been involved with the Young America’s Foundation this summer, which is another non-partisan conservative activist group that promotes different ideologies on college campuses. Turning Point wanted to start a chapter at UNC, so they reached out to me.”

UNC’s chapter has been handing out buttons with phrases like “Socialism Sucks,” “Think: it’s not illegal yet!,” “Big Government Sucks” and “I (heart) Capitalism.” Raikin said Turning Point is having an upcoming free speech ball event.

“We’re going to get a free speech ball,” Raikin said. “We’re going to inflate a really large beach ball and roll it around campus so any student can write on the ball and promote free speech. We’re also going to have guest speakers, as well, come to campus.”

Ford said the free speech ball event should be sometime in the next month.

“It’s an opportunity for students, whether they’re more on the capitalist side or more on the socialist side, or wherever in between, to say what they want to say,” she said.

Kerr said Turning Point is also going to bring speakers to UNC to talk about issues that advance their pro-capitalist agenda.

Turning Point is not anticipating any clashes with other politically motivated groups on campus, Kerr said.

“Ideologically, the pro-Marxist newspaper is at odds with Turning Point’s ideology, but we haven’t had any confrontations,” he said.

Turning Point is trying to raise awareness for their new chapter at UNC, Raikin said.

“We’re tabling Wednesday and Thursday to get people involved and actually know where we are,” he said. “People have been really responsive and appreciate what we have to say about the dangers of big government.”

@leah_moore1