Policy experts to debate academic freedom Monday

Academic freedom will be the topic of discussion this afternoon in Wilson Library. 

John Wilson, co-editor of Academeblog.org, and Jay Schalin, director of policy analysis at the John William Pope Center for Higher Education Policy in Raleigh, are set to face off in a debate about whether people should be allowed to research what they're interested in without interference. 

“This debate is happening because academic freedom has become a very important topic. Scholars must have the right to explore, inquire about the truth and research. Academic freedom is the bedrock of the University, and there needs to be a little more talk about what academic freedom is, why it is important and the limitations of it,” Jenna Robinson, president of the Pope Center, said. 

This event is centered around the release of Schalin’s new report, “Academic Freedom in the Age of Political Correctness,” and is free to the public.

Schalin said he is a firm believer in the idea of academic freedom as a natural right.

"The right of a scholar to pursue research should be fairly unlimited, but it is different for teachers," he said. "We need to do a better job at balancing all academic interests."

This view differs greatly from Wilson’s, as he believes academic freedom is something everyone should be able to pursue freely, regardless of their profession.

“I believe that academic freedom is the fundamental freedom for universities," he said. "It protects the freedom of inquiry, teaching and expression."

In the past, Schalin and Wilson said they have had multiple discussions with one another regarding the issue of academic freedom — all of which have involved Schalin critiquing Wilson’s ideas or vice versa.

“Jay represents a view that universities should try and restrict political expression, limit the freedom of faculties and others as well. This is fundamentally wrong. It’s dangerous to try and limit and make politics something in academia. We need the freest debate of ideas,” Wilson said.

Both Schalin and Wilson are set to answer a slew of questions, including 'Is academic freedom the same as the First Amendment’s right to free speech?' and 'What are the rights of schools to control what’s taught in the classroom?' to name a few.

Schalin said he is definitely up for the challenge.

“I’m excited to introduce to a lot of people on campus the possibility that academic freedom is not a one-sided topic and that it really needs to be looked at in today’s society,” he said.

The debate will be at 4 p.m. today.

@MalinCurry