UNC defeats VCU 6-0 in first shutout of season

The No. 3 North Carolina field hockey team defeated the VCU Rams, 6-0, to sweep the weekend and record the first shutout of the season.

The Tar Heels (5-1) controlled the tempo of the game from the beginning, limiting VCU (1-4) to just two shots on goal, which came in the final minute of the game. First-year forward Megan DuVernois scored the Tar Heels' first goal nine minutes in, which was quickly followed by another goal from first-year forward Eef Andriessen. A third goal by sophomore midfielder Eva van’t Hoog put the Tar Heels up by three with 20 minutes left in the first half, and two subsequent goals by junior forward Gab Major enabled the Tar Heels to cruise to a 5-0 halftime lead.

Coach Karen Shelton benched most of the starters for the second half, but the second string continued to limit VCU’s offense. Sophomore forward Tanner Watson scored her first career goal with nine minutes remaining in the game through a swarm of VCU defenders. VCU reached the Tar Heels’ side of the field in the closing minutes, but could not score.

Gab Major led the Tar Heels' offense in shots on goal, two of which translated into points for the team. Major almost added two more goals for the team, but one was called off due to a penalty, and the other was initially awarded to her, but was credited to Tanner Watson after further review.

The Tar Heels' second string maintained and increased the advantage over VCU. Watson, a reserve, credited the performance to the scrimmages with the first team in practice. 

From the opening faceoff, it was clear that UNC was in control. VCU struggled to find a rhythm on offense, and barely found any opportunities to break past the Tar Heel defense. VCU tried to take advantage of the Tar Heels fatigue late in the game, but the Rams were unable to convert those chances into goals.

Shelton stressed that the two opponents the Tar Heels faced over the weekend were completely different. While Shelton and the team immensely studied Wake Forest in preparation for Saturday's game, Shelton's goal for VCU game was to have the team focus on itself. Shelton was pleased with the team's performance in both halves of the game, but also said the team still has a few problems to sort out.

The Tar Heels will travel to Newton, Massachusetts to face Boston College on September 16 at 3:00 p.m.

@BrandonWhite95