The No.1 North Carolina field hockey team took two wins this weekend after a dominating 6-2 victory over the University of Pennsylvania concluded their road-trip weekend.

The Tar Heels (3-1) proved to be too much for the Quakers (1-1) throughout all 70 minutes of the game in the schools’ first-ever meeting for field hockey.

UNC came out swinging, scoring four fast goals within a ten-minute timespan during the first half. North Carolina scored twice more in the second half and outshot the Quakers 21-14 in the game.

Showing an impressive offensive prowess and a complete team effort, UNC’s six goals came from five different players while assists also poured in from five players as well.

Notably, senior Kristy Bernatchez scored her second and third goals of the season in the first half of the game, with goals that came only 10 minutes apart. Defensively solid as well, Bernatchez also added a defensive save.

However, junior forward Gab Major and first-year forward Eef Andriessen added both a goal and an assist each. It was the second goal of the season for both Major and Andriessen.

The game was never out of the Tar Heels’ control, as UNC opened the game with six consecutive shots within the first 10 minutes of opening. The Tar Heels were all over Penn’s defense, finally breaking through in the 19th minute with Bernatchez’s first goal.

A late goal in the final minute of the first period for Penn could have potentially provided the Quakers a bit of momentum in the second half, but UNC stifled any hope Penn had to get back in the game with a quick goal only 50 seconds after returning from half-time.

Coach Karen Shelton has been giving first-year goalkeeper Alex Halpin time in each game in order to gain experience. Halpin impressed, following senior goalkeeper Shannon Johnson’s suit, with only allowing one goal in the second half.

Thus far in the season, this has been UNC’s most dominant display.

The season-opening 1-0 loss to Michigan stung, but the Tar Heels haven't lost a game since then. A 6-2 win is a major confidence boost and such an assertive win leaves a good feeling in any locker room.

The Tar Heels will be returning to Chapel Hill for a Saturday match against Wake Forest at 1 p.m.

@Nicole_Caporaso