UNC student takes the stage on "The Price is Right"

McKay Bartlet (left) and Elizabeth Grady were selected to participate in "The Price is Right" gameshow. Photo Courtesy of Elizabeth Grady.

UNC student Elizabeth Grady, a senior majoring in journalism and political science, loves “The Price is Right.” Grady was on an episode of “The Price is Right” that aired Sept.28 on CBS.

Staff writer Michelle Dixon spoke to Grady about her love for the show, her experience on the show and the prizes she won.

The Daily Tar Heel: How were you chosen for “The Price is Right”?

Elizabeth Grady: I grew up watching it with my grandma and I was working out in Los Angeles this summer and I saw CBS studios, and I was like, “Oh my gosh, that’s where the film ‘The Price is Right!”’ So, I went online to purchase tickets to sit in the audience and just watch the show.

It turns out that once you get tickets everyone has to line up out in front of the studio and there is a man who selects people. He basically screens and interviews everyone, and so he selects people to be on it. He screened/interviewed me and whatever, and everything was fine and everything seemed normal. So then I went into the audience and they called me to “Come on down!” It was pretty fun.

DTH: Were you nervous to be on a national worldwide television show?

EG: I was not nervous. I was just like extremely excited like it was out of control excited. It was so much fun. It was great.

DTH: Did you find parts of the show to be challenging?

EG: Yeah, so, it’s really funny they have this thing called the Blackout Zone, and you get up there and people say your mind goes blank. Even people who have been watching this show for years, like, “your mind goes blank and you forget how to play the game. You forget prizes and everything,” because like the energy in the room is unreal. And so, I was like, “Oh, no that wouldn’t happen to me if I ever got up there!” Well, it did.

My best friend from high school lived in Los Angeles, so, we met up out there for the summer and we went together. You know how the audience tells people numbers and gestures or whatever, I was like, “What do I do?” She told me and helped me decide what to pick. It was pretty funny, but definitely the blackout experience was crazy. It’s weird because your mind goes blank, completely blank. You’re so excited. I wasn’t even nervous — it was just an overwhelming sense of excitement.

DTH: Did you win the show, and what did you win?

EG: There are multiple winners. If you bid correctly or if you guess the price correctly you win. So I won prizes on the show, but I wasn’t the overall winner. I won two mountain bikes on Contestant Row and then I won a trip to the Bahamas. So that was like the best thing. Super fun. Super excited.

DTH: How did your friends and family react to your win?

EG: They thought it was the funniest thing ever — first of all, growing up watching it with my grandma and they knew how much I love to shop. So they just thought it was hilarious. It’s pretty funny.

DTH: After doing “The Price is Right,” do you think you will try to do other game shows?

EG: I don’t think so, it’s only because one came my way. It could be fun, but I’m not going to go out of my way to try to find another one. “The Price is Right” was like the one for me.

DTH: When are you taking your trip to the Bahamas?

EG: I’m either going to go sometime over this Christmas break or after graduation in May.

DTH: Are you able to go with your family?

EG: It’s myself plus one guest, so my friend, McKay (Bartlett), who was on the show with me and my best friend from my high school, she’s going to come with me.

DTH: That should be really fun.

EG: I really can’t wait. I never been to the Bahamas. That will be really fun.

@michellekdixon_

swerve@dailytarheel.com