UNC volleyball sweeps TCU for 1000th win in program history

In the first home game of the season, the North Carolina volleyball team swept TCU (25-23, 25-20, 25-18) to win the 1,000th volleyball game in program history on Saturday.

What Happened?

UNC won the match after three sets despite a back-and-forth battle for the first one. Throughout the first set, the lead changed three times between the Tar Heels and the Horned Frogs, but North Carolina took the lead after senior Sheila Doyle served at an 18-18 tie. Doyle served UNC to a 21-19 lead after making a couple digs to keep her serve.

The Tar Heels were more dominant in the second set, following Sydnye Fields kill on the first point of the set. TCU hit .303 on offense throughout the set, but 13 digs to counter the Horned Frogs, the Tar Heels' defense was strong, and they won the set by seven points while stopping TCU from even tying the score throughout the set.

The Tar Heels took home the third set and win decisively despite the Horned Frog’s early 2-0 lead. UNC grabbed an 18-14 lead and didn’t relent. Later on, Julia Scoles extended the lead to 24-18 with a kill a point before Taylor Treacy nailed home the victory with another kill.

Who Stood Out?

UNC won the second and third set with kills by Taylor Treacy on the final point. She tallied 12 kills tonight after bouncing back from two errors later in the first set. Treacy also had four blocking assists in the match.

Julia Scoles also stood out with a team-high 14 kills, one of which gave the Tar Heels an 8-7 lead in the third set. Scoles also had seven digs and a blocking assist.

Both Scoles and Treacy came into the game after receiving ACC player of the week awards. Scoles was named ACC-freshman of the week, while Treacy was named ACC-player of the week.

The match was tight through the back-and-forth first set, but the Tar Heels took control of the game in the second. Fields' kill won the first point of the set and set the tone for the rest of the match. Fields went on to win the third point on a kill, then served the Tar Heels to a 5-2 lead. UNC held onto the lead for the rest of the set.

North Carolina went on to win the third set convincingly, jumping to an 18-14 lead behind several kills by Treacy, Scoles and others. It was all over with Treacy's match-winning kill.

UNC closed out a tough schedule in the first two weeks of their season with a strong win over a good program in TCU. The Tar Heels won the Penn-State Classic last week after beating the ninth-ranked Nittany Lions, but have struggled to serve well. In the Penn State Classic, UNC totaled 16 serving errors in their game against Penn State and 11 against Duke. Though the Tar Heels only managed one ace, they had a season-best six serving errors.

“This was probably one of our better wins of the year so far,” Segula said. “I thought we served tougher tonight, I really liked the pressure we put on them tonight.” 

The win was also the 1,000th for UNC’s volleyball team, making the Tar Heels the third ACC team to reach that mark behind Florida State and also behind Pittsburgh University, which clinched its 1,000th win earlier this afternoon.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels play Wisconsin on September 9 in Carmichael Arena for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

@ColedelCharco