What to watch for in UNC field hockey's weekend matchups against Syracuse, Duke

The No. 5 North Carolina field hockey team (6-2, 1-1 ACC) hosts the top two teams in the country this weekend, with No. 1 Syracuse visiting Friday and No. 2 Duke coming to Henry Stadium on Sunday. 

How do they play? 

Both teams are well-rounded, putting pressure on their opponents all over the field. Each team possesses a potent scoring offense — Syracuse (7-0, 2-0 ACC) ranks fourth in the country in goals per game, while Duke (8-0, 2-0 ACC) is tied at No. 11 nationally. Both teams also allow fewer than 1.25 goals per game and are ranked in the top 10 in goal margin this season. 

Who stands out?

Syracuse boasts an explosive back in Lies Lagerweij. The junior has become one the best scorers in the nation while also solidifying the defense for the Orange. 

Lagerweij leads the Orange in points and finishes at an alarming rate — scoring on eight of her 14 shots on goal. 

Duke also boasts a prolific scorer in forward Heather Morris, who has eight goals on 33 shots through eight games. She is the Blue Devils' go-to scoring threat, leading Duke in points, shots and shots on goal. 

What is their biggest weakness?

UNC will have to be in top form, as the weaknesses are few and far between for its weekend foes.

After beating the Tar Heels in the national championship game last season, Syracuse has a strong team again this year. Its only “weakness” seems to be its strength of schedule. The Orange has not played a top-five team this season, nor has it faced a squad with UNC's talent level yet this season.

Duke has played a stronger schedule than Syracuse, better preparing it for the Tar Heels this weekend. However, the Blue Devils have allowed two or more goals in three of their eight games — giving North Carolina an advantage if it can hold Duke off the scoreboard.

Why could they win? 

Any time top-10 squads meet, it figures to be a tight battle.

Both games can go either way, with neither matchup featuring a clear favorite. The Orange is meeting the Tar Heels for the first time since the national title game, so a revenge narrative could be in order.

Meanwhile, Duke is off to its best start in school history, and riding that momentum could propel the Blue Devils to victory. And whenever the two rivals meet, anything can happen.

@WBOD3