Wednesday December 8th

Wilmington sports bar takes over Fitzgerald's spot on Franklin Street

The move was confirmed by William Jones, one of the partners behind Might as Well. Jones said there’s currently no timeline for the restaurant’s opening.

“We’ve actually had the location for a while now,” Jones said.

“We’ve just been waiting for permits and stuff to begin construction.”

Might as Well, which opened in Wilmington, N.C. in 2012, is a college town neighborhood sports bar, Jones said.

The new location in Chapel Hill will be the restaurant’s second.

Fitzgerald’s, which closed in January, was also a sports bar, but with more of an Irish focus.

The Wilmington location features daily drink specials, American-style food, 24 beers on tap and delivery every weekend until 3 a.m.

It also hosts trivia on Wednesdays at 8 p.m, along with an all-day happy hour.

Prior to opening its Wilmington location, Might as Well had a restaurant in Conway, S.C. near the Coastal Carolina University campus.

“We closed the Conway location to come up to Wilmington,” Jones said.

“Wilmington was a better area for us,” he said. “A nicer location.”

Jones said Chapel Hill — a well-known college town — matched Might as Well’s business model.

“We’ve been up there a couple different times and we’re familiar with the competition on Franklin Street,” he said.

“That’s why we ultimately picked the location.”

Jones said the Chapel Hill location will feature an indoor-outdoor bar, patio seating and long communal-style tables. Each week, Might as Well will host college nights that feature a DJ.

Former UNC-Wilmington student Juliann Mullen said there are many things she enjoys about Might as Well.

“I like it because it has a bar inside and outside,” she said.

“They have dancing and music on one side but the bar area is kind of separate. I like the fact that it’s not a club but still has dancing and music.”

Current Carrboro resident and UNC-W graduate Aaron Denny said he visited Might as Well a few times after the location was changed from his favorite bar, Fat Tony’s Italian Pub.

“I was a little bitter that it wasn’t what it used to be, but it’s definitely a fun atmosphere,” Denny said.

“It appeals more to a college crowd.”

@ryansalch

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021