You Asked For It: How to study abroad, and how to stay home

Kiana Cole, a junior journalism major, and Alison Krug, a senior journalism major, are the writers of You Asked for It.

Alison Krug (buried under homework) and Kiana Cole (classes haven’t started) are the writers of UNC’s premier (only!) satirical advice column. Results may vary.

You: I’m considering studying abroad in the spring. What should I expect?

You Asked For It: If you’re obsessed with that “How does everyone know where they’re walking?” first-year feeling, go abroad.

First, know that the rest of the world is simply uninterested in American politics, so it’s safe to already eliminate the names Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton from your vocabulary. You will never have a stranger approach you at a restaurant while you’re eating alone and ask if you’re American just to scold you on how poorly our election is going.

For the smoothest transition to a new country, emphasize you’re American in every possible setting. A few ways to do this include: Loudly conversing on your city’s public transport system about “Game of Thrones” and making no effort to learn 24-hour time.

You: What do I do if my friends are studying abroad while I’m on the mainland?

YAFI: Whether it’s because of the expenses, insufficient credit hours or a fear of being incepted on planes, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to not study abroad! You can still get the “going abroad” experience without leaving the Triangle.

Want a home-away-from-home vibe? Take the semester “acampus.” North Campus residents: Cross the pond (the puddle on South Road when it rains) and set up residence in Hinton James. You’ll be intrigued by the linguistic differences between you and these youngsters, but they’ll assure you it’s totally “lit.”

Want to immerse yourself in a new culture? Take a day trip to seldom-visited parts of campus, like the eighth floor of Davis Library between August and November or the pages of your ENGL 105 textbook.