All the cool things you didn't know were happening at the N.C. State Fair

We cover people, places and things that are important to UNC students, and the North Carolina State Fair is a key field trip to make at least once in your UNC career. From food to fun to dates to things you didn't know about the N.C. State Fair, check out the fair from all angles. 

Spoiler alert: lasers!

Obviously, everyone loves to gorge themselves on deep fried food until their arteries clog up and wait in long lines for a 3-minute ride every year at the fair. But there are a ton of underrated events at the fair that people don't know about (and that won't increase your chances of getting coronary heart disease). 

Dream City Unicorns 

SourceN.C. State Fair

Roasted corn is not the only corn at the fair; there are also unicorns! If you go to the Flower & Garden Show area, you will see giant stilt-walking unicorns wandering throughout the exhibit. If you go at night, their costumes glow in the dark. 

Laser Spectacles Show 

via GIPHY

Every night on the Heritage Circle pond (located near Gate 8), they have a LASER light spectacle from 7:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. If you're looking to be on an Ultralight Beam like Kanye West, this is the place for you. 

The Great Pumpkin

Source: ABC11

See the winner of the Biggest Pumpkin along with the other over-sized crop winners at the Expo Center. Pictured above is last year's winning pumpkin, which weighed 1,095.5 pounds. 

Wolves of the World Show

via Frontier Show

Instead of wolfing down some fried food, go see a show featuring a pack of trained wolves that perform tricks as you learn about the history of the animal. The exhibit is located behind the Scott Building

Whether it's laser spectacles or riding the Ferris wheel, you're in for a fair-ly fun time. 

Check out the N.C. State Fair website for more information about what's happening at the fair.  

@tessbettinsoli 

swerve@dailytarheel.com