Bug Howard honors Mack Hollins in UNC football's win over Virginia

Tests confirmed his gut, and No. 21 North Carolina announced to the players last Sunday that its big-play specialist at wide receiver would miss the rest of his senior season because of a broken right collarbone.

But on Saturday, No. 13— Mack’s number — was out catching passes in warmups before UNC’s 35-14 win over Virginia.

And in the second quarter, No. 13 blew past the secondary and soared above two defenders to pull in a 40-yard touchdown to seize a lead UNC would never relinquish.

After the play, senior wide receiver Bug Howard walked over to the sidelines, where Hollins stood with his arm in a sling, and fist-bumped his brother.

Howard, who usually dons No. 84, switched jerseys to honor his injured teammate.

“That was his idea,” said Coach Larry Fedora. “He wanted to honor Mack with his play, and he did a great job of that.”

Howard finished with seven catches for 109 yards and the deep touchdown grab. It was his second straight game with more than 100 yards receiving — the first such streak of his career — after he racked up 10 receptions for 156 yards in North Carolina’s 20-13 win over the Hurricanes a week ago.

Hollins didn’t know about the switch until Howard surprised him in the locker room before the game wearing Hollins’ No. 13.

“You kind of see the softer side of Mack you don’t see a lot,” Howard said.

The normally brash and outspoken Hollins didn’t have much to say — for once. The leader of UNC’s wide receivers is usually never short for words.

Perhaps it comes from how hard he’s had to fight to make the team. The former walk-on who was dubbed ‘the unlucky kid’ by his father, who endured injuries and disappointment, who wears No. 13 to laugh in the face of the circumstances that tried and failed to drag him back to obscurity — Hollins has come a long way to be here.

“He comes from just working,” Howard said. “He’s always positive, he’s always pushing you. He’s not the type of guy to be satisfied with just one good game.”

Hollins always had a retort to whatever life threw at him. He never leaves the house without the proverbial chip on his shoulder.

Before North Carolina’s 37-35 win over Florida State earlier this season, he and fellow receivers Howard and Ryan Switzer warmed up in bathrobes because Hollins felt the nation was sleeping on the Tar Heels’ wide receiving corps.

Yet Hollins isn’t just talk. One doesn’t go from walk-on to third in UNC history in touchdown catches without work.

The first place Hollins made his impact was on special teams, and No. 13 was UNC’s best special teamer until that fateful play in Miami. The culture of hard work he embodied permeated the entire North Carolina receiving corps.

Hollins never knew that until he saw Howard wearing his jersey. But the signs were everywhere after that.

Junior transfer Jordan Cunningham caught a pass to convert a 3rd-and-22 and set up the Tar Heels’ first touchdown of the afternoon. Former walk-on Thomas Jackson caught a wide-open touchdown in the back of the end zone to give UNC a two-score lead in the third quarter.

And Hollins’ replacement at outside receiver, Austin Proehl, caught another long touchdown to punctuate the final 35-14 margin against Virginia.

“Of course it hurt us ...” Howard said of Hollins’ injury. “But we got young guys who can come in and know exactly what needs to be done.

“They held their weight pretty good today.”

Players who weren’t starting at the beginning of the year stepped up when given the opportunity.

Down three preseason starters, the reserves on the offensive line paved the way for 178 rushing yards, and young players on defense helped the Tar Heels continue the resurgence on that side of the ball.

“Regardless of who wears his jersey or not, Mack’s with us,” Switzer said. “We’re going to honor him with our play.”

And so after seeing his teammate wearing No. 13 and carrying on his legacy, Hollins looked at Howard and said something he’d never said before — “Bro, I love you, and I appreciate you.”

Nothing else had to be said.

“It really felt good to hear him say those words,” Howard said.

“Because he don’t ever say it.”

@loganulrich