Depth, composure boost UNC volleyball to best ACC start in program history

volleyball v syracuse
volleyball v syracuse

The Tar Heels (18-2, 10-0 ACC) stayed calm during a tough first set before breaking the door open in the second against the Orange (5-15, 4-6 ACC) and finishing strong in the last set.

With the win, the Tar Heels set a record for the best conference start in program history.

UNC dominated at the net thanks to redshirt sophomore Taylor Leath and redshirt junior Taylor Fricano.

“I was just trying to find open court and trying to be smarter with my swings,” Leath said.

“By swinging higher and having more angles and switching it up a lot, by not going to the same spot every time.”

Leath certainly found those spots for UNC on Sunday, finishing tied with a game-high 12.5 points.

In the third set, the Tar Heels were down 19-15 before a huge spike by Leath turned the momentum of the set in UNC’s favor.

Leath’s kill sparked a 10-2 run for the Tar Heels, who pulled away from Syracuse to win the set — and ultimately the match.

Fricano said depth has been key in maintaining UNC’s 10-game winning streak.

“This team has a lot of depth, and we have a lot of people off the bench that can help us out a lot,” Fricano said.

“We have those people off the bench that are supportive and ready to go in and crush it if needed.”

The Tar Heels didn’t hesitate to use that depth, employing 12 different players compared to the Orange’s 10.

With UNC the only undefeated team remaining in the conference, Head Coach Joe Sagula said the home-court environment inside of Carmichael Arena made it easier for the Tar Heels to continue their success.

“I think it was great to be at home and knowing that we did not have people screaming against us,” Sagula said.

“I told the team basically we have to learn how to dig ourselves out of a bad situation.”

North Carolina plays its next four games on the road, starting with Virginia Tech on Friday.

The Tar Heels then play No. 12 Florida State — the second-ranked team in the conference — on Nov. 6 before finishing the season at home with six conference games.

But Sagula said the Tar Heels still have some work to do before hitting the road again to take on tougher competition ahead of postseason play.

“I think what we are trying to do is learn how to be sharp two matches on the weekend,” Sagula said. “We weren’t as sharp today as I thought we were on Friday, but (the Orange) pose different challenges, including being very physical at the net.

“And it caught us off guard, so we have to learn how to be more disciplined with that.”

@ctrenkle2