GPSF continues to seek separation from student government

Graduate and Professional Student Federation meeting on Tuesday night

Who spoke?

Dylan Russell, the president of GPSF, said some of his priorities are protecting graduate and professional student rights and increasing civic engagement.

He discussed the current issue of separating GPSF from Student Congress. Last year, it was not passed because the threshold, two-thirds of the student body, was not met.

“With 10 times as many graduate and professional students voting compared to any other election in the past and we had undergrads overwhelmingly vote for separation too,” Russell said.

Autumn McClellan, social chair for GSPF, said parts of the undergraduate experience are not on graduate students’ radars.

“The issues that come before Congress are overwhelmingly undergraduate issues,” she said.

Marie Eszenyi, the treasurer for GPSF, said the advocacy issues are different among undergraduates and graduate students.

“My job is to not only look at our finances, but to also make sure that we’re best representing graduate students’ interests in terms of how our student fees are allocated,” she said.

Why was this meeting important?

Members of GPSF expressed issues with the current structure of student government and explained reasons why separation would be beneficial.

“We’re a bigger part of the University, we’re contributing more and more dollars, and yet at the end of the day, the person who represents me is an undergraduate student,” McClellan said.