I went from the majority at my old college to the minority at UNC

National Model United Nations members from Miami Dade College runs mock MUN stimulation. Photo courtesy of Michelle Dixon.

To be a black man in America is to be a violent, uneducated, simple-minded thug. If you don’t fall in that category, you’re just a football or basketball player classified by the number on your jersey.

To be a black woman in America, you go by the name Shanequa, you have the nastiest attitude and you talk with disturbing, informal slang. You are loud, ignorant and most likely the driving force in the abuse of America’s welfare system.

To add to these intricately formulated stereotypes, we are also classified into a group called “minority.”

I thought minority was just a way of identifying a group of people who created the smaller portion of a larger group of society. I did not comprehend or fully understand the social and cultural impact that this eight-letter word would have on me.

Before attending UNC, I attended Miami Dade College, the largest, most diverse community college in the nation. As a former student at MDC and a native-born resident of Miami, Florida, I never classified myself as a minority because my surroundings told me differently. I looked around and I saw Blacks, Hispanics and Asians who made up the majority.

At my former college, when I stepped outside, I witnessed women’s melanin radiate and reflect a light as distinct and beautiful as mine. I saw hair that defied Earth’s gravity just like mine, where every strand had been carefully dipped in oil to form curls, just like mine.

At my former college, what I saw was a community of beautiful, strong, educated and independent black women who resembled me in the most elegant way. I did not feel like a minor factor in society. I felt powerful, beautiful and completely invincible to all that looked down upon me.

When I stepped outside in UNC, I did not see my skin. I did not see my hair. I did not see my lips. I saw not one person who resembled me.

At that moment, I finally saw the majority.

At that moment, I felt like the minority.

I sat in my room as confusion took over my mind. Confusion turned into frustration. Frustration turned into sadness. Sadness turned into tears.

These same tears were shed as I listened to my people protest against police brutality in the Student Union. I had never witnessed or felt anything that powerful as I stood there and began to bear their pain.

Night after night, questions flooded my thoughts as I attempted to dismantle my unbearable agony, but I couldn’t.

“How can someone hate me without knowing me?” I thought. “What is so bad about my skin that can make someone hate me?” I looked up to the roof, “God, why do they hate me?”

A burning sensation ran through my eyes as I attempted to hold back the tears, but this type of pain was too strong for me to hold within my tormented, shaken soul.

I couldn’t contain this amount of distress any longer.

Immediately, I called my sister, Melinda, and as soon as I heard her voice, tears rushed from my eyes.

“Racism exists,” I said. “How could someone not like me because of my skin? What’s so bad about my skin? What’s so bad about me? What did we ever do to them?”

“There is nothing wrong with your skin,” she said. “It’s something wrong with their hearts and their minds. Some of them just can’t comprehend or understand a culture different from their own. We’re supposed to be the ignorant ones, yet they continue to be ignorant of who we are.”

She continued with sincerity.

“Shelly, you have to pray,” she said. “Pray for them because this everlasting racism is the manifestation of something deeper and darker within people’s souls.”

When she finished, I took one deep breath of relief. I finally realized the bubble in which I was constrained for all those years had popped. I looked around, and I did not see my skin. I did not see my hair. I did not see my lips. I saw not one person who resembled me, but that was okay.

I am classified as a minority, but there is more to me.

More to my pigment and much more to us than the majority may see.

@michellekdixon_

swerve@dailytarheel.com