Mack Hollins ends UNC career after collarbone surgery

UNC receiver Mack Hollins runs into the end zone for a touchdown against James Madison on Saturday.

Mack Hollins' collegiate career is effectively over.

On Sunday, the North Carolina senior receiver had season-ending surgery to repair his right collarbone, according to the team.

The injury occurred on his only catch of Saturday's 20-13 win at No. 16 Miami: a 49-yard reception late in the second quarter to set up his team for a score.

Hollins, a former walk-on, had a team-high four touchdowns this season after leading the Tar Heels in receiving touchdowns each of the past two years. He ends his four-year career with 81 catches for 1,667 yards and 20 touchdowns — trailing only Quinshad Davis (25) and Hakeem Nicks (21) in career touchdown catches at North Carolina.

While Hollins established himself as one of the premier deep threats in the country, the Maryland native made his name on special teams. The senior was UNC's special teams captain for three years and was often the first player to the ball — including on Saturday, when he recovered an onside kick that was called back after an illegal blocking penalty.

Hollins' final play as a Tar Heel was a fitting one. Late in the first half, the senior soared past the inside shoulder of the Miami cornerback and sprinted alone toward the middle of the field — as he had time and time again throughout his UNC career.

But an underthrown ball by quarterback Mitch Trubisky forced an in-air adjustment for Hollins, who landed hard on his right shoulder and was writhing in pain after the play.

Hollins ends his senior season third on the team with 309 yards on just 16 catches.

“Mack has been an instrumental player in our program,” Coach Larry Fedora said. “He became our special teams captain as a freshman and always took pride in making plays in that part of the game. Over the last three seasons, he has been a key component of our offense at wide receiver and has been one of our most vocal leaders. His contributions on the field will be missed, but he will continue to be involved with the program and help mentor our players.”