No. 3 UNC field hockey takes down Miami (Ohio) 6-0

The No. 3 North Carolina field hockey team demolished Miami (Ohio) on Sunday afternoon with a 6-0 win in Ohio.

The Tar Heels (12-3, 3-1 ACC) were an unstoppable force against the RedHawks (8-7) as five different UNC players scored goals, while five picked up assists. Two of UNC’s goals came in the first half, just seven minutes apart, but North Carolina picked up the pace in the second half and added four more tallies.

Goalkeeper Alex Halpin was back in the cage for the first half after her start in Saturday's 1-0 loss to the Louisville. Sunday's game brought Halpin's goals against average down to 1.24.

Not unusual for UNC, the team’s two primary goalies split their time in cage, with Shannon Johnson taking over in the second half to preserve Halpin’s shutout.

Though offensive production came from many different players on the team, Marissa Creatore did the most damage, scoring two goals in the 18th and 42nd minutes, respectively. It was the forward’s second and third goals of the season.

Lauren Moyer’s score in the 64th minute was her team-leading 12th goal of the season.

With Halpin and Johnson’s shutout, this game was decided in the 10th minute as Malin Evert scored the first goal of the game. It would be the only goal the Tar Heels needed to collect the win, but that didn't stop North Carolina from tacking on five more.

Though Miami (Ohio) isn’t a conference opponent, coming off yesterday’s loss to Louisville, it was important for UNC to get back into the swing of things and return to the win column as the season nears to a close.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels next take on Duke for an Oct. 22 matchup in Durham at 1 p.m. It will be the team’s final conference opponent before the ACC Championship Quarterfinals on Nov. 3. 

@Nicole_Caporaso