No. 9 UNC volleyball sweeps No. 16 Florida State in fifth straight conference win

The No. 9 North Carolina volleyball team swept No. 16 Florida State to remain undefeated in the ACC (25-12, 25-22, 25-21).

The Tar Heels (12-2, 5-0 ACC) did not panic and trusted their training and teammates when it mattered most Friday against Florida State (11-3, 4-1 ACC). The final score did not accurately represent the parity between the two teams throughout the game. The Tar Heels benefitted from mid-set runs, and they capitalized on Seminole errors to capture their fifth consecutive win.

North Carolina jumped out to an early lead in the first set, taking advantage of seven Florida State errors. Sydnye Fields and the North Carolina front line dominated the net and to prevent the Seminoles from getting into a rhythm.

Expecting a push from Florida State in the second set, the Tar Heels steadied the ship after the Seminoles surged to an early 4-1 lead. The Tar Heels caught back up at 12-12 and did not look back, riding Julia Scoles’ five kills and Sheila Doyle’s nine digs.

In the third set, the Seminoles again started strong, jumping out to a 13-8 lead. But again, the Tar Heels answered with nine consecutive points, and they wrapped up the set without trailing after the run occurred.

Taylor Leath led the team with 13 kills on the match, spearheading the North Carolina attack. Defensively, the redshirt sophomore managed to add three block assists and 12 digs to keep pivotal points alive.

Her number was called on the most to make an offensive play in both the second and third sets of the match. She was targeted 32 times, leading all players.

After the nine-point comeback in the third set, the Tar Heels never trailed. Momentum shifted, and the team’s success was sustained by Julia Scoles’ serving. Scoles prevented the Seminoles from executing perfect passes when they received her fast, sinking service.

This was not the first time Scoles came up big behind the attack line. Against Penn State earlier this year, the first-year helped string together six straight points while serving when the Tar Heels were two points away from defeat.

Beyond the fact that the Tar Heels are now 5-0 in conference, this match in particular mattered because Florida State was also undefeated entering Chapel Hill.

The Tar Heels’ efforts echoed Coach Sagula’s “stay the course” attitude, and the win bolstered the team’s confidence heading into the rest of conference play, as the victory secured UNC's spot as a top competitor in the ACC.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels next face Miami on Sunday at 1 p.m. in Carmichael Arena.

@alexzietlow05