Pence focuses on economic and military strength in Greensboro campaign stop

Republican vice presidential nominee Mike Pence spoke at a rally in Greensboro on Monday.

Republican vice presidential nominee Mike Pence insisted the race was not over for Donald Trump at a rally in Greensboro Monday.

Pence focused on the media's influence on the election in his speech at the Greensboro Coliseum Complex. He said the media has done half of the Clinton campaign’s work and has portrayed the race as practically over.

“This race is on, and we’re going all the way to the finish line,” Pence told the crowd.

Several state Republican leaders introduced Pence and encouraged the audience to vote early for down-ballot Republican candidates. Pence endorsed Sen. Richard Burr, R-N.C., and Gov. Pat McCrory and said their reelection is critical.

“We’re at a fork in the road here,” he said. “This is not a choice between Republican and Democrat. This is a choice between uphill and downhill.”

Pence also contrasted Trump and Clinton's economic plans. He said the Democrats plan to raise taxes, increase spending and socialize medicine.

“Hillary Clinton’s answer is more of the same bad ideas that have been stifling growth and jobs,” Pence said.

Pence said Trump will challenge the status quo of the Obama administration.

“It doesn't have to be like this — we can be strong again, we can be prosperous again," he said.

He said a Trump administration would lower taxes, decrease spending and replace President Obama's health care law.

“We are going to put common sense, conservative principle in action,” Pence said.

Terri Middlebrook, a Greensboro resident who attended the event, said Trump’s business experience will turn the economy around.

“I think that he will make a difference,” she said.

Amid shouts of “lock her up,” Pence attacked Clinton for mishandling U.S. Department of State emails.

“She used high technology and hammers to delete those emails,” he said. “Donald Trump has a plan to bring accountability to Washington D.C.”

Glen Boone, another Greensboro resident who attended the rally, said he believes Clinton is a criminal.

“Everybody knows she deleted those emails after she had a subpoena from Congress,” Boone said.

Pence said Trump would crack down on illegal immigration from Mexico and halt the flow of Syrian refugees.

He said rebuilding the military, instilling law and order in major cities and destroying the Islamic State group is critical to promoting American strength.

“It’s not just about security overall, it’s about security at home,” he said.