Post-Franklin haunts for Halloween 2016

But the town of Chapel Hill is cutting Homegrown Halloween on Monday night short this year. Franklin Street and its surrounding streets will only be closed off to those in attendance from 8 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

For those of us who don’t even normally begin to go out until after this time, it presents quite a challenge. Some are making alternate plans some are hitting up local bars and others have no clue what they’re doing yet.

Senior Korey Butler is a non-traditional college student and usually plans her Halloween around her two children. She said they have been to Franklin Street in the past but since Chapel Hill is celebrating on the actual day of Halloween — a Monday — it’s difficult to plan things on a week day.

“I actually haven’t really thought that far ahead,” she said. “Since it’s Monday, I’m probably going to go home and get my kids and myself ready for school the next day.”

Senior Ashly Tyson said she’s not quite sure of her plans yet either because of how early Homegrown Halloween starts and ends this year.

“I don’t even go out on Saturday until like 11:30, so I don’t know,” she said. “I know the police are trying to make it more family friendly.”

While there aren’t many ~open~ events happening post-Franklin, those who are 21 and up are in luck because several local bar favorites are continuing the party.

Halloween at the Duck

Country Fried Duck will be open with some pretty sweet drink specials, especially for the beer drinkers out there ($3 PBRs and $4 Miller Lite, Coors Lite and Coors Banquets).

Linda’s Halloween Bash

Linda’s Bar and Grill will also keep the party going on Halloween night after you trickle off of Franklin Street. Not only will there be awesome drink specials, but there will also be live music from Matt Phillips & The Back Pocket, burlesque by Miss Bliss and Rubie Rapturous and a Halloween costume contest and giveaways.

Halloween Bash at Pantana Bob’s

If you feel like listening to live music, head on over to Pantana Bob’s. The Liquid Pleasure Band will be performing.

And if you don’t like Halloween at all, don’t feel bad. You’re not alone.

Abbey Pope, journalism major, feels the same.

“I hate Halloween,” she said. “It freaks me out.”

@MariaMullis2017

swerve@dailytarheel.com