President Obama makes stop for Clinton in Greensboro

Presumptive Democratic Presidential Nominee Hillary Clinton spoke in the North Carolina State Fair Grounds Exhibition Center on Wednesday, June 22.

He joked about his graying visage and about his time in the White House coming to an end.

“We’re going from room to room, making sure none of the china is broken,” he said. “ … We want to get our security deposit back.”

Obama appeared in Greensboro to showcase his support for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, citing her experience and credentials in public service as reasons for his endorsement.

Obama also took the opportunity to repeatedly criticize Clinton’s opponent, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

“The guy’s said stuff that no one would find tolerable if they were applying for a job at 7-Eleven,” he said.

Obama said Trump does not have the temperament, judgment or desire to obtain the knowledge needed to be president.

Obama appeared at the event alongside Deborah Ross, the Democratic candidate for the U.S. Senate, several Democratic state legislators and Clinton campaign staffers.

All of the speakers focused on the importance of voting in the upcoming election.

“Send a message about who we are as the American people and make our kids proud,” Obama said.

Voter registration was a theme throughout the event, and before doors opened, attendees lined up outside were asked by volunteers if they were registered at their current address.

Henry Frye, the first African-American chief justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court, made a personal plea to get voters registered and to the polls as he introduced Obama.

“In 1956, I was denied the opportunity to register to vote based on a literacy test,” he said. “Now, I am introducing the president of the United States.”

Obama remained lighthearted despite three interruptions by hecklers, who were escorted out by security.

Will Arrington, a UNC-Chapel Hill student who attended the event, said he traveled to Greensboro to support Obama.

“He was the first president I ever voted for,” he said. “I think he has done an exceptional job.”

Jasmine Spears, a UNC-Greensboro student, said she’s voting for Clinton to keep Trump out of the presidency.

“In a larger choice of candidates, Hillary probably wouldn’t be my first choice,” she said. “But I’m not going to vote for another candidate, because that’s a vote for Donald Trump.”

During the speech, Obama listed some of the accomplishments of his administration.

“All that progress goes out the window if we don’t make the right decision in four weeks,” he said.

Staff writer Vincent Verbeek contributed reporting.