Southern Season acquisition produces optimism

Liz McCarthy from Oxford, NC browses for items on sale at Southern Season in Chapel Hill, NC. Southern Season changed hands earlier this week, but the only direct effect on patrons so far is that gift cards no longer work.

Southern Season was founded in 1975, and customers have been attracted to its specialty foods, wines, cookwares and housewares ever since. The store’s flagship is in the University Place shopping center.

Southern Season declared bankruptcy in June, listing $18.3 million in liabilities. Calvert Retail bought the store in an auction for $3.5 million in August in an acquisition that helped Southern Season stay afloat.

Calvert Retail is based in Delaware. The company owns six Kitchen & Company Stores and two Reading China and Glass stores in addition to Southern Season. Calvert Retail did not acquire the smaller Southern Season stores in North Carolina and South Carolina, which will be closing.

Calvert Retail has turned around other companies in the past. Reading China & Glass declared bankruptcy in 1999 but is now under Calvert Retail ownership.

Kaela Mast, marketing director for Calvert Retail, said the company plans to make some small changes to Southern Season in order to improve the operation.

“We have been enhancing the selection with additional products for preparing and serving food since the acquisition,” she said. “We are looking forward to the upcoming holiday season.”

Calvert Retail has not made drastic changes to the store’s layout. Weathervane, a restaurant affiliated with Southern Season, is still located in the store.

Jess Donnell, the bar manager at Weathervane, said she isn’t upset about the change in ownership.

“The change did not affect people who come in here,” Donnell said. “In fact, we still have a lot of our same customers.”

Donnell said Weathervane incorporates local ingredients within its recipes. She said the change in ownership could give Weathervane new opportunities to acquire more ingredients from local sources.

She said finding more local ingredients is important for a restaurant that regularly makes changes to its menu.

“We do seasonal changes, we’re always trying to reboot and come out with fresh new ideas,” Donnell said.

Jacob Frigon, department head for customer service at Southern Season, is optimistic about the change in ownership.

“We haven’t noticed much of a change in our clientele,” Frigon said.

Frigon said Calvert Retail will begin looking for new vendors to bring to Southern Season. The store continues to stock many of its previous vendors, including local brands like Chapel Hill Toffee and luxury lines such as Le Creuset.

Ann Bond has been a loyal customer for about seven years. She enjoys buying cooking supplies and food from the store and said she is excited about the change in ownership.

“I’m glad that Southern Season has been bought out,” Bond said. “I was worried no one would want to buy it and it would close completely. I’ve been shopping here for so long and I’ve grown to be sentimental of the store. I don’t really want to go anywhere else.”

Bond said she has not witnessed changes within the store.

“As far as I know, everything has stayed the same,” Bond said. “I still am seeing the same staff members as I used to. They are still very friendly and knowledgeable about the store’s products. I feel so happy shopping in here.”