Strong second half lifts UNC women's soccer over Miami, 3-1

The No. 15 North Carolina women's soccer team defeated the Miami Hurricanes, 3-1, on Thursday at Fetzer Field.

The first half was a battle between two defenses, as the two teams combined for just eight shots in the opening 45 minutes. 

The Hurricanes knocked in the first goal of the match in the 12th minute, and it looked like they were going to hold onto the lead going into the half. With five minutes remaining, though, first-year midfielder Bridgette Andrzejewski struck the ball just inside the right post and into the back of the net.

With the game tied 1-1, the Tar Heels went into the second half looking for a go-ahead goal, and Andrzejewski delivered again with a powerful header in the 61st minute. 

North Carolina took control of the game and finished in dominating fashion, as sophomore Dorian Bailey netted the Tar Heels' third goal later in the half.

Andrzejewski’s two goals were the deciding factors in Thursday’s game. The Tar Heels tied in their past two matches, but they were able to break that trend and defeat Miami thanks to the first-year's fifth and sixth goals of the season.

The Tar Heel’s second goal of the match gave the team the lead as well as the momentum.

To the crowd’s chants of “Glory, Glory Carolina," the Tar Heels pushed into Miami’s half and just missed opportunities on both a corner kick and a free kick. It wasn’t until later in the half that UNC capitalized on this momentum and scored its third, but Miami seemed to lose control of the match after Andrzejewski’s header.

Not only is UNC looking to make a run deep in the ACC, but Coach Anson Dorrance has been two wins shy of hitting the 800 mark since the Tar Heels' victory over Virginia Tech on Sept. 22. 

Dorrance now has the chance to win his 800th game Sunday at Fetzer Field in front of a home crowd.

Where do they play next?

North Carolina has a quick turnaround, as the team has two days to prepare for its next ACC matchup. The Tar Heels take on Wake Forest at home at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

@Kayleigh_Payne7