UNC field hockey defeats No. 10 Virginia, 3-2, in overtime

The No. 3 North Carolina field hockey team won its sixth straight game on Friday night at Henry Stadium, scoring a golden goal in overtime to defeat the No. 10 Virginia Cavaliers, 3-2.

Virginia struck first nearly 14 minutes into the game. Senior Lucy Hyams took a pass on the right side of the goal and struck a powerful shot toward UNC keeper Alex Halpin, with the ball bouncing between Halpin's legs en route to hitting the cage.

UNC was able to tie the game just before the half, when fifth-year senior Emma Bozek drew a penalty corner with no time left on the clock at the end of the first half. Senior Lauren Moyer got the ball off the insert with a pass to the top left of the circle, where she took her shot cross-goal into the bottom right corner to make the score 1-1.

With less than 10 minutes to play, UNC took the lead off open play. First-year Megan DuVernois took the cross and passed it to Moyer in front of the goal. Moyer’s first shot was denied by a UVa. defender, but she put in the rebound to make it 2-1.

Virginia fired right back though, scoring off a penalty corner. Junior Tara Vittese scored off a shot from the middle of the circle off a pass from first-year Anzell Viljoen to tie the game.

UNC had three straight penalty corners at the end of regulation to go for the game-winning goal, but the Tar Heels were denied twice by UVa. saves and their third attempt went wide.

The lack of luck on the penalty corners did not come back to bite UNC, however, as the Tar Heels were able to get the golden goal off the stick of Bozek.

Halpin was strong in the cage for the Tar Heels, ending with a career-high eight saves on the night. She played a big part in keeping UNC in the game against a relentless UVa. offense.

Eva van’t Hoog was a great facilitator of offense in the midfield, using her dribbling skills to draw penalty corners and create chances all night. She ended the night with only one assist, but could have had many more.

Moyer continued her stellar season, scoring two goals on six shots — five of which were on goal. She currently leads the team with 11 goals on the season. 

Bozek ended the game in overtime with her golden goal. Driving down the left side of the circle, Bozek blew past her defender, drew the goalie out of the cage and dribble around the keeper to score on an open net.

Virginia marked the fourth team in five games UNC played that was ranked in the top 10 at the time of the contest. With another win against a top-flight opponent, UNC continues to build its resume for post-season play.

Additionally, the experience of winning a tightly-contested overtime game — the team’s second win in such a game this year — will serve the team well in postseason play. 

Where do they play next?

North Carolina starts a five-game road trip next weekend with an ACC matchup against No. 8 Louisville on Oct. 15.

@sjdoughton