UNC field hockey's win streak snapped with loss to Louisville

The No. 3 North Carolina field hockey team suffered a 1-0 loss against the No. 7 Louisville Cardinals on Saturday.

In a tight conference game that showcased more defensive skills than offensive prowess, Louisville (12-3, 2-3 ACC) midfielder Erin McCrudden pushed a goal past Alex Halpin to give the Cardinals a 1-0 lead in the 46th minute. It was only the second shot on goal for the Cardinals, as the Tar Heels (11-3, 3-2 ACC) primarily did well to deny Louisville opportunities.

McCrudden’s goal was enough to give the Cardinals the win, as UNC was unable to find an offensive touch of their own.

Eva van’t Hoog led North Carolina inopportunities created, as she took three shots throughout the game.

However, offensive opportunities were balanced, as different players took each of UNC’s four shots on goal throughout the game.

McCrudden's goal woke the Tar Heels from a slumber, as they began to push back against the Cardinals, looking for a goal of their own. Coach Karen Shelton pulled Halpin in the 67th minute for an extra attacker, however UNC was still unable to get it done, despite upping the ante.

Though the Tar Heels outshot the Cardinals 11-5, UNC dropped this conference game and suffered its first loss since Sept. 16.

This loss snaps North Carolina’s six-game winning streak and could possibly allow the team to fall a spot or two in the rankings.

With only one conference game left in the season before November’s ACC Championship quarterfinals, each win or loss is extra important as the season comes down to its final stretch.

Where do they play next?

The Tar Heels play Miami (Ohio) at home on Sunday at 1 p.m.

@Nicole_Caporaso