UNC organizations part of hurricane relief efforts for Eastern N.C.

Abernethy Hall is collecting supplies for Hurricane Matthew relief efforts

Several organizations at UNC are leading relief efforts for areas of Eastern North Carolina that were most affected by Hurricane Matthew.

The UNC American Indian Center is serving as a University-wide drop-off center for supplies they've been transporting weekly to the Lumbee tribal center in Pembroke, said Amy Hertel, director of the American Indian Center. The tribal center distributes the goods to affected tribal areas, especially Robeson and Scotland Counties, which are included in Lumbee tribal territory.

The Pembroke Boys and Girls Club for the Lumbee Tribe, the local Red Cross chapter, the tribal center in Pembroke and local church associations are partnering with the American Indian Center.

Hertel said the tribal government around these counties are not just working to respond to Lumbee Tribe needs.

“In addition to the response that the county offers, the tribe provides a response for its citizens and for all of those living in the tribal territory,” Hertel said. “The tribe itself has been working to supply, you know, to meet the needs of tribal citizens but also people in the greater county and the region overall.”

She said the needs of the affected areas will require long-term responses in terms of social and support services for needs such as cleanup assistance and replacement of personal items. 

Hertel said the center will stay in regular contact with the Lumbee Tribal government to stay aware of the citizens’ changing needs and will continuously update its website with ways to help with hurricane relief.

“An event like a flood takes a toll on people for many, many months and years to come,” Hertel said.

Lynn Blanchard, director of the Carolina Center for Public Service, said her organization’s main job is to spread awareness of hurricane relief efforts and help to coordinate the work of various University groups.

“What we’re trying to do is have those University units and organizations who have those partnerships and connections and are developing responses to let us know, for our website or other things, what sorts of things people need,” Blanchard said. “Then we’ll try and get word out through a listserv and the website of how others can help.”

She said APPLES Service-Learning is coordinating a fall break trip in Robeson County to assist with relief efforts. The Carolina Center for Public Service also has a Disaster Relief Fund through which monetary donations can be made to help hurricane victims of eastern North Carolina. The Gillings School of Global Public Health and the UNC School of Nursing are also working to provide relief to affected areas.

“But probably most importantly is that the aftereffects of this flood are going to be felt for a long time and there will be a lot of opportunities to help, and we just want to do it advisedly and responsibly and in response to what people are telling us they need,” Blanchard said. 

Regan Buchanan, co-president of the Campus Y, said she and other Campus Y leaders are encouraging members to donate to the American Indian Center’s drives.

“They’re gonna be the people that have the expertise on who needs supplies, what people need and who to contact,” she said. “So I would just suggest to the rest of campus and to everyone in the Y to support those efforts because those people like actually know what is needed.”

Blanchard said the efforts of the University have been admirable.

“It’s no surprise that people across this campus are really reaching out to ask how they can help.”

CLARIFICATION: A previous version of this story was unclear about the Carolina Center for Public Service's Disaster Relief Fund. The fund has benefitted previous disaster relief efforts as well.