Although the North Carolina swimming and diving team suffered a tough loss to Georgia on Friday, there are still bright signs for the team moving forward.

Though Georgia defeated UNC 179-119 in women’s events and 162.5-132.5 in men’s events, the Tar Heels won the last three events of the meet. Senior Michael Meyer took the 200-yard individual medley race and then the Tar Heels won the women’s and men’s 400-yard freestyle relay.

The men’s 400-yard freestyle team was led by transfer Jorden Merrilees, of North Melbourne, Australia. The 6-foot-3 senior led his relay team to victory over a Georgia squad that included Olympic swimmer Gunnar Bentz.

Merrilees was not intimidated by facing an Olympian.

“My training buddy at home went to the Olympics and he’s been at worlds," Merrilees said. "So I am used to going up against it, and it was not anything different.”

Merrilees' experience will certainly help a men’s team that has 14 underclassmen. Merrilees also said the next two weeks will be a great opportunity for the Tar Heels to train and improve as they prepare to face Tennessee in Knoxville on Oct. 21.

On the women’s side, junior Caroline Baldwin won two events, including an exciting 50-yard freestyle where she beat her opponent by .02 seconds. When Baldwin realized how close the race would be, she changed her approach on the final turn.

“I saw her on the turn and I knew [Assistant Coach Duncan Sherrard] was counting my breaths," Baldwin said. "So I took one less breath than usual, and it managed to pay off this time.”

Head Coach Rich DeSelm praised his squad’s hard work, singling out senior Hellen Moffitt and Baldwin. 

“[Hellen] won the 100 back and was second in the 100 fly, and that was pretty fast for the first meet. Baldwin winning the 50 and was very competitive in every event.” 

DeSelm said there would be no down time for his squad, as the team would race the next morning and compete to improve. In his 10th year coaching, DeSelm has a lot of experience at molding talent.

The Tar Heels won the men's and women's diving competitions in 1-meter and 3-meter, also getting second in both 1-meter competitions. It was an impressive result, and it is an encouraging sign moving forward.

The Tar Heels will have their work cut out for them when they go to Knoxville, but led by their veteran coach, they will certainly be prepared.

@christrenkle2