UNC women's soccer plays as one in 3-1 win over Miami

Megan Buckingham (18) dribbles down the field in Thursday night's match against Miami, leading the Tar Heels to a 3-1 victory.

After two straight draws against Clemson and Virginia, the North Carolina women's soccer team knew it would face another difficult opponent in an unranked but dangerous Miami team.

And the No. 15 Tar Heels knew that in order to come out with a win, they would need to work as one.

On Thursday night, UNC did just that — earning a 3-1 win over the Hurricanes at Fetzer Field. 

“We’re starting to see some personalities emerge,” Coach Anson Dorrance said. 

In the first half, UNC (7-2-3, ACC 2-1-2) dominated possession but was unable to match that domination on the score sheet, only recording five shots in the first half. 

Despite being out-possessed, the Hurricanes (8-5, ACC 3-2 ) struck first in the 12th minute with a goal just outside of keeper Lindsey Harris’ outstretched grasp. 

Following the goal, the domination of possession continued for UNC. Finally, in the 40th minute, Megan Buckingham slotted the ball perfectly to Bridgette Andrzejewski, who placed it inside the far post right past the Miami keeper. 

“Once we get that first goal, no matter whose it is, it always follows with a really good next goal," Andrzejewski said. "Just because we have such a good connection as a team.”

At the start of the second half, Miami had its foot on the gas, trying to avenge the late first-half Tar Heel goal. But in the 61st minute, Cameron Castleberry lofted a beautiful ball to Andrzejewski, who headed the ball into the back of the net for her third multi-goal game of the season. 

Dorian Bailey finished out the scoring in the 78th minute, as Buckingham picked up her second assist of the night. 

“Megan Buckingham has just gone to another level, Cameron Castleberry is coming back into form ..." Dorrance said. "To have our two flank midfielders playing at such a high level gives us a huge boost.”

After Bailey's goal, the UNC defense kept the Miami offense in check, led by a strong effort from the back line of Hanna Gardner, Julia Ashley and Maggie Bill. 

“As a unit, we really just worked together more and made sure that we were solid and had each other’s backs the whole time,” Bill said.

With only five games left in the regular season, the Tar Heels take on Wake Forest this Sunday hoping to secure Dorrance's 800th career victory. 

To do so, they'll need to win as one.

@esingletary4