10 half-animated, half-live action film ideas to celebrate Space Jam

Time out, today marks the 20th anniversary release of the American classic, "Space Jam."

The movie is one of the most iconic basketball films of all time, and sadly never received the Academy Award it so obviously deserved — not to mention it stars one of the most famous UNC graduates ever, Michael Jordan (AKA the GOAT.) 

Sourceweartesters.com

The company Warner Bros. made a bold choice by producing "Space Jam" as a half-live action, half-animated movie with Michael Jordan and Looney Tunes. 

What if more films and television shows were half-live action, half-animated? What would happen if "Bill Nye the Science Guy" and "Dexter's Laboratory" joined forces? 

What if the Pit Preacher followed the Minions around and protested everything they did? Here are some possibilities for the next generation of half-live action, half-animated instant classics. 

1. Snoop Dogg and "Dragon Tales"

You might have already heard Snoop Dogg narrating the actions of animals in his bit Plizzanet Earth. Now imagine Snoop Dog accompanying Max and Emmy to Dragon Land in an episode of "Dragon Tales." Every time he's riding on the back of a dragon and wants them to land, he starts singing "Drop it like it's Hot."  At the end of the episode, you watch Snoop Dogg snap back to reality and realize he'd been tripping on acid the entire episode. 

2. Michael Phelps and "Spongebob Squarepants"

~Ahhh. Goo Lagoon.~  Do you remember the episode where Patrick and Spongebob can't swim? Well, Michael Phelps is ready to finally teach Patrick and Spongebob how to swim. Since he retired from professional swimming, Phelps decides to teach Spongebob and Patrick water safety and the fundamentals of swimming as part of his organization The Michael Phelps Foundation. 

3. Carol Folt and "The Magic School Bus"

Ms. Frizzle is out sick and is in need of a substitute teacher; who would be better than Carol Folt? No one, that's who. Friendly reminder to keep both hands on the wheel while flying, Chancellor Folt. 

4. Kevin Hart and "Dora the Explorer"

Imagine if Kevin Hart accompanied Dora on her adventures and retorted sarcastic commentary to her frequent questions. Like when Dora asks "What's your name?" three different times and Kevin Hart just unleashes his craziness. 

5. Kenneth Parcell from "30 Rock" and the "Care Bears"

Kenneth Parcell and the Care Bears would be a dream team collaboration. Kenneth could be the potential owner of all the bears and accompany them on their many adventures. Kenneth is basically a real life care bear, so this would be a fitting match up.

6.  Oprah and "The Fairly Odd Parents"

YOU GET A WISH! YOU GET A WISH! YOU GET A WISH! EVERYONE GETS A WISH!!! I don't know about you, but I want Oprah as my fairly odd parent. She would be the most charismatic fairly odd parent, and already grants people's wishes on a daily basis. 

7. The Pit Preacher and "Minions"

In this scenario, the Pit Preacher would follow the minions around and protest all of their actions. Like when Stuart falls in love with the fire hydrant in the movie "Minions," the Pit Preacher would yell about how marriage is between a man and a woman, only. No fire hydrants allowed. 

8. "Jimmy Neutron" and Lin-Manuel Miranda 

"Macbeth in Space" was one of the most iconic episodes of "Jimmy Neutron"Now imagine Lin-Manuel Miranda collaborating with Jimmy Neutron to produce... "HAMILTON" IN SPACE. Lin-Manuel Miranda would help Jimmy Neutron produce a space-themed rendition of Hamilton for his school play. Everything would become space-themed. For example, the Schuyler Sisters would become the Sky-ler Sisters. Houston, we have an idea. 

9. Bill Nye the Science Guy and "Dexter's Laboratory"

It was always a good day when you got to watch "Bill Nye the Science Guy" in science class in middle school, and "Dexter's Laboratory" was a seriously underrated cartoon during the early 2000s. If the two science icons collaborated for an episode it would be the perfect experiment... Eureka! 

10. Kanye West and "Recess"  

"Recess" featuring Kanye West... call it YeezessKanye West needs inspiration for a new album and decides to go back to elementary school to see if he can get any ideas from some kids during recess. Also, the Kardashians join forces with the Ashleys to form the Kardashleys and rule the playground.  

Here's your chance to do your dance … and make these film/television mash-ups a reality. 

@TessBettinsoli

swerve@dailytarheel.com