He’s Not Here

Customers of the bar He’s Not Here saw their typical Blue Cups turn pink for the last half of October.

The limited-edition cups were designed to raise money for breast cancer research. Proceeds from the cups’ sales were split between two organizations - 1in9, a Raleigh-based charity, and the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center. 

General Manager Fleming Fuller said the initiative was a hit. 

“The sales went well," he said. "People were very receptive to the concept of raising money for breast cancer awareness, and we’ll probably do something again like it next year.”

Fuller said the Susan G. Komen organization has also reached out to He’s Not, indicating that it would be interesting in collaborating with the bar next year. 

He said the bar ordered 10,000 cups and it was close to distributing them all. The one case left will be divided up and shipped to people across the country who emailed requesting one of the keepsakes.

ULTA

A new Ulta Beauty Store in Chapel Hill will celebrate its grand opening this weekend by giving away gifts to customers Friday through Sunday.  

The store, located in Eastgate Crossing, will give the first 100 guests each day an Ulta Beauty treat valued from five to $100.

According to Carolyn Stuphen, a spokesperson for Ulta, the store will feature a range of makeup, fragrance, skincare and haircare products along with a salon service. 

“We want to be a beauty destination for Chapel Hill,” she said.

Ulta Beauty currently has 928 retail stores across the country. Prior to the Chapel Hill store’s opening, the closest Ulta Beauty location was in Durham in the Renaissance Center IV, near The Streets at Southpoint. 

Stuphen hopes the shop will be a one-stop shop for its customers.

“Ulta Beauty is all things beauty, all in one place.”

High Life

In September, Expressions transformed into High Life. 

The store, located at 137 E. Franklin St., has joined the largest chain of smoke shops on the east coast.

Krista Holley, the manager of the Chapel Hill store, said the previous owner of Expressions sold the entire company to High Life, not just the shop in Chapel Hill. 

Holley said she is very impressed with the new ownership and their possibility to do more with the business. 

"Since they order in larger quantities, the company has better prices and they have a lot more capability to remodel the shop," she said.

Created in 2010, High Life now has 20 stores throughout North and South Carolina, including Charlotte, Asheville and Boone.  

Holley said there was a lull in sales prior to High Life taking over, but the sale numbers have returned  and surpassed previous levels.

"We were running out of merchandise," she said. "A lot of people thought we were closing down or moving. We even thought we might be moving." 

Holley said the store will host a Black Friday sale in November.