Clinton hosts final campaign rally in Raleigh as election day begins

As the clock struck midnight Tuesday morning, Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton arrived in Raleigh to deliver her final address to the state of North Carolina, with some help from former President Bill Clinton, daughter Chelsea Clinton, Lady Gaga and Jon Bon Jovi. 

"Well, I got to tell you, this sure is worth staying up for," Clinton said while greeting the crowd of thousands at the Reynolds Coliseum at N.C. State. 

The event marked Clinton's final campaign appearance before Election Day and she said she was honored to finish her campaign in the Tar Heel state.

"I cannot imagine a better way to end this campaign than having the opportunity to see all of you and to watch and listen to Lady Gaga, one of the most inventive, creative and passionate performers, whose range goes from A to Z and beyond," she said.

Lady Gaga performed a medley of her greatest hits, including "Born This Way" and "Bad Romance" and shared the stage with Bon Jovi for a special acoustic version of "Living on a Prayer."

Gaga said no one should underestimate the power of their vote.

"There are people around the world who think this election is a joke, but you know what isn't a joke — your vote," she said. "This country needs your vote."

Clinton thanked the audience for all of their support and said this election is an opportunity to defend the country's core values.

"I really believe it's the most important election of our lifetimes because we've never had a clearer choice," she said. "It is a choice between division or unity between strong, steady leadership or a loose cannon, it's a choice that really goes to the heart of who we are as Americans."

Former President Bill Clinton said he wanted to remind the audience of North Carolina's importance this election.

"Today we look at North Carolina — the fights you've raised for voting rights, the fights you've raised for LGBT rights... You've got a chance to point the way to a unified future," he said.

Bill Clinton said he appreciated everyone's energy and asked the audience to remain committed to the election.

"I thank you for being here and ask you to be there until the last person votes," he said.

Chelsea Clinton said she was grateful to have started her Election Day in North Carolina.

"And I am so excited I finally get to vote for my mom," she said.

Gaga encouraged the audience to seek peace Tuesday and after the election.

"If we are true Americans then we must go from viewing (Trump's) followers as adversaries to viewing them as our allies," she said.

Clinton said this election is about more than just the presidential race and encouraged North Carolinians to vote for Democrats across the ballot and defend the rights of everyone.

"You know, here in North Carolina you've got to vote to get rid of HB2," she said.

Clinton said the election is a chance to show the country's best days lie ahead.

"And tomorrow we face the test of our time, so remember it's not just my name or Donald Trump's name on the ballot, it's the kind of country we want," she said.

@kentomcdonald