Franklin Street venues continue to be gender neutral after election

The ArtsCenter hangs signs in the bathrooms stating “#WeAreNotThis” in opposition to H.B. 2 (courtesy of Patrick Phelps-Mckeown).

The status of gender-neutral restrooms on UNC’s campus has been well documented

Pride Place, a residential community within Cobb Residence Hall, is “committed to the personal wellness and academic success of students of all sexual identities, gender identities and gender expressions,” according to its UNC Housing page. 

In regard to its access to gender-neutral restrooms, Brennan Lewis, a resident of and advocate for Pride Place, said the community offers a single-stall, gender-neutral restroom, but all shower facilities are split by gender. 

“We are limited by existing facility design and regulations by the Board of Governors," Lewis said. "But we do our best to accommodate all students."

While UNC lists all gender-neutral bathrooms on a University website, information regarding those located off campus and on Franklin Street, on the other hand, is hazy at best. 

“I’m aware of unisex bathrooms in and around campus, but not those explicitly referred to as gender neutral,” said junior Stratos Pagiavlas. “I really am not aware of what restaurants on Franklin Street offer them.”

Although many students may not be aware, several restaurants on Franklin have either implemented new or adjusted their old restroom policies in response to House Bill 2's passing in March. 

Sup Dogs had a particularly strong opposition to the bill, keeping this sign on their restrooms for more than two months after it passed. 

"Our stance toward allowing patrons to use the restroom of their choosing hasn't changed," said Lindsey Ewing, a manager for Sup Dogs. 

Linda’s Bar & Grill on Franklin Street also provides single-stall restrooms. 

“Linda's offers four gender-neutral restrooms for everyone to use,” owner Chris Carini said. 

Unlike some of its neighboring restaurants, Tru Deli & Wine Bar doesn’t offer gender-neutral restrooms, and it hasn’t yet come to a definitive position regarding their policy. 

“We haven’t really taken a stance as a restaurant yet,” said Joseph Pietrafesa, one of the bar's managers. 

Cat’s Cradle, the largest music venue in Chapel Hill, has a policy that puts no restrictions on which restrooms concert attendees use. 

“We are an inclusive venue — no proof required,” is the quote posted on each of the restrooms in Cat’s Cradle. 

“You can use whatever you choose,” said Savannah Walker, the venue's hospitality assistant. 

swerve@dailytarheel.com