Isaiah Hicks seeks stability in starting role

UNC forward Isaiah Hicks (4) dunks the ball against UNC-Pembroke on Friday.

When the NCAA allowed players to receive NBA scouting without declaring for the draft, Williams encouraged Isaiah Hicks to do it. All Hicks had to do was sign his name.

But Hicks refused.

“Coach, I don’t think you should try to do that unless you’re 100 percent sure that’s what you’re going to do,” Hicks told Williams. “... I’m 100 percent sure that I’m staying in school.

“I want to get my degree. I want to keep playing.”

After winning ACC Sixth Man of the Year last season — when he averaged 8.9 points and 4.6 rebounds in 18.1 minutes — Hicks can build on his junior campaign.

North Carolina will need the senior more than ever, as he, Kennedy Meeks, Luke Maye and Tony Bradley compose UNC’s squad of big men.

Furthermore, Hicks will be instrumental in filling the rebounding hole left by Brice Johnson, who tallied 416 rebounds last season — more than double Hicks’ total.

“(Williams) just wants us to know Brice is not here, so ... somebody needs to step up.” Hicks said.

Hicks said he will approach games with the same hunger that propelled Johnson to success at the glass. And he needs to. Someone must make grabs for UNC, and Hicks’ length makes him the ideal candidate.

“You see him making these leaps every year,” senior Nate Britt said. “And I think you’ll see that again this year.”

With Johnson gone, Hicks will likely start, like he did in the exhibition against UNC-Pembroke. As a starter, he’ll get more minutes, bringing Hicks closer to materializing his hopes of a stellar year.

But Hicks has one hurdle he must overcome — foul trouble.

“I wanted him to play more minutes than he did last year,” Williams said. “But I wanted him at the end of the game ... because he can block the shot, he can take the charge, he can do some of those things.

“And this year I’d like him in the game at the start and the end.”

Hicks needed to be so efficient because he was rarely on the court for an extended period of time. But if Hicks gets his fouling under control, he could make a huge impact with added time on the court.

Williams has talked to Hicks about ways to avoid fouls — like being second to jump for a ball or approaching screens with caution.

Hicks committed a team-high three personal fouls in 16 minutes of play against UNC-Pembroke. But he scored 16 points — the same total as Justin Jackson, who played six more minutes.

“Isaiah still hasn’t played yet the way I want Isaiah to play...” Williams said after the exhibition. “But I’m not worried about Isaiah.”

Hicks could reach his full potential. He just needs to stay on the court long enough to deliver.

So how can you get Hicks to stop fouling?

“Scream at him,” Williams said. “You’ll have to ask me at the end of the season if it worked, ‘cause that’s all I’ve done.”

@rblakerich_