King of the Hill: the Arboretum

Coker Arboretum is known for its beautiful foliage and peaceful spots to rest.

Disclaimer. There is no cool talking lion. Sad, I know.

But UNC’s Coker Arboretum truly is a world of its own.

The Arboretum was founded in 1903 by Dr. Williams Chambers Coker, the University’s first professor of botany. What began as a humble outdoor classroom evolved into an examination of East Asian and North Carolinian plants.

Time passes differently there. It is a reminder of the sanctuary that nature offers us and the natural beauty found in this world. It’s also a great place to take a nap in the sun.

I have my priorities straight, you know.

I first visited the Arboretum the summer before my first year at UNC during orientation. The air was hot and sticky and the mosquitoes were out. It was humid and uncomfortable as a North Carolina summer day is known to be.

But, like all good places on campus, the Arboretum makes you forget that discomfort for a little while.

My orientation group was looking for a place to take the traditional orientation group picture for the OL Instagram competition.

Upon entering, we spotted a beautiful bride taking bridal pictures in the freshly cut grass with a backdrop of sunflowers and warm sunshine. So naturally, we intruded and took pictures with her.

I still have that picture saved on my phone because it was pretty adorable. We posed as her bridesmaids and groomsmen. I hope she wasn’t too uncomfortable. She probably was.

Sorry, bride lady.

I encountered the Arboretum my sophomore year quite a bit because we explored it for a plant biology class of mine. It was hands down the worst class of my entire life. But visiting the Arboretum once in a while was a nice break, so it really was a plus.

Not to mention, it’s a lovely place to show to your friends who visit campus. You can go for a walk and catch up on life, surrounded by peace and quiet. You can have yourself an amateur photo shoot for your Facebook album because nothing beats that backdrop.

If you’re lucky, you might catch some of the plant specialists who work in the arboretum as gardeners or scientists. Go and say hi. They are truly some of the most genuine people on campus and love for people to be interested in the diversity of the land that they tend to.

Since winter is coming, don’t forget to visit the Arboretum when it snows. Narnia in the winter might mean that the creepy pale lady who feeds kids candy to lure them to her castle is in charge of things, but it’s still pretty gorgeous.

It’s a place of pure natural beauty we are lucky to have and should cherish always.

@nicola_mcirvine

swerve@dailytarheel.com