King of the Hill: Woollen Gym

Basketball players frequent Woolen Gym for pickup games.

There are nicer basketball courts on campus than the ones found in Woollen Gym. Courts that have an effective air conditioning system, newer floors or good lighting, but there are no courts like the courts at Woollen Gym for playing a game of pick-up basketball.

The gym has two defining physical features: its heat and size.

Woollen Gym gave me empathy for lobsters because I cannot help but feel slightly boiled once I leave.

It has eight basketball courts, which, assuming all courts are being used for 5-on-5 games, translates to 80 people all playing basketball at the same time, a sight to behold.

But it’s the people who make Woollen special. Woollen attracts every type of person, each similar to the next only through love of basketball.

I have played with and against people from all walks of life, from firefighters and professors to middle-schoolers and graduate students.

Most importantly, Woollen creates bonds between those people. I became friends with three of the human beings I live with through playing basketball at Woollen Gym.

I met them during my first year at UNC.

I had hung out with them a couple of times before, but did not know them very well. I still wasn’t sure if I should say hi to them or not on campus.

Then I played pick-up with them one day at Woollen. We ended up playing basketball for 3 straight hours. Once you play basketball with someone for 3 hours, you know them and they know you. And like a beautiful basketball flower, my friendship with my roommates bloomed into the majestic creature it is today.

Since then, playing basketball at Woollen has become something of a tradition, and we try to play basketball there every week.

I am not saying that if a person goes to Woollen Gym they will meet a friend for life. But any person going to Woollen is going to meet new people who are there for the same reason they are — to play basketball and have fun.

And when a person leaves, they are going to leave sweaty and knowing someone they did not know before.

I forgot to mention: the UNC men’s basketball team played in Woollen until 1965, which, in a way, means playing at Woollen is like playing in the Dean Dome around 50 years ago.

@sethpyle22

swerve@dailytarheel.com