Letter: ​Don’t encourage hate of our President-elect

This year’s election was a polarizing one, there’s no doubt about that. Since Nov. 8, news media outlets, including The Daily Tar Heel, have been reporting very heavily on the hatred that many people, especially minorities, feel for Donald Trump.

It seems as if articles only describing the fear people feel and hatred toward Trump are encouraging more hatred and fear. The fact of the matter is, Donald Trump will be our next president because he won the election, fair and square.

He has said some absolutely horrific things in the past, some of which definitely warrant fear and should not be tolerated.

However, it is now up to us to get behind our next president as American people and give him a chance to govern and prove everyone wrong.

He earned a fair chance, and it is up to him to heal a severely divided America.

It is up to us to promote unity and to love our neighbors, regardless of their political views. Media could accelerate this by providing positive outlooks on the election and the future of our country.

Whether he will live up to the task or not, we don’t know, but promoting hatred and disobedience of our government does nothing to help matters.

We all want America to heal and unite once again.

Will Kilby

Sophomore

Business