Letter: ​Israel is portrayed poorly in letters

Joseph Tillotson’s (class of ’66) second letter accuses me of “ignorance;” I feel compelled to respond.

Undoubtedly I have been influenced by news and propaganda — as has he. But ignorant I am not.

Israel is not a completely innocent country, but neither is it a “rogue state” as he claims.

He also says “Boycott, Divestment and Sanction movement is a nonviolent method of sending a message to Israel.”

True, the BDS website and statement of purpose says this. That’s the ideal.

The real is that BDS demonstrations have resulted in disruption at Connecticut College, Kings College London, University College London and the University of California-Irvine, just to name a few schools.

In May 2016, the Chancellor at UC-Irvine stated that BDS demonstrations had “crossed the line of civility.”

BDS and SJP (Students for Justice in Palestine) protests, even if originally justified, have become disruptive and aggressive.

Police have been summoned to many schools.

This movement is what Mr. Tillotson wishes UNC students to embrace. But students who do get involved are often manipulated by violent individuals.

And Israel ignores the UN?

The same UN that has China, which occupies and oppresses Tibet, on the Security Council?

The same UN that makes resolutions that deny actual history and fact?

Mr. Tillotson states that Arabs in Gaza “lead a life of misery.”

Israel does not control Gaza; Hamas does.

Israel pulled out of Gaza (uprooting many Jewish settlers in the process) over 10 years ago.

Any “misery” there comes from Hamas.

Jane S. Gabin

Class of ’77