Letter: ​Jails are mental health institutions

In Vincent Veerbeek’s article, “Durham jail receives grant to address mental health concerns,” Veerbeek raises great points about the status and screening of inmates for mental health issues.

Veerbeek mainly notes that with donations from the county and the Department of Justice, the screening of inmates for mental health status will improve drastically. He denounced the current form of screening calling it “outdated” as the questionnaire only includes seven yes or no questions.

The author also noted that sometimes the screening is not even done by trained professionals, but by a normal jail medicine team. It saddens me that the statement calling prisons “de facto mental health institutions” is true.

Knowing that people are working and providing resources to improve mental health among detainees is exciting. I would like to add on that I believe jail or prison should be a means to rehabilitation, not just lifetime incarceration.

Now that the Durham jail has taken strides to improve mental health standards, I believe all jails should strive to do the same.

Some of those inmates need real mental help, but all of the detainees need help, period. I really think that rehabilitation should be stressed for the betterment of the people.

Noah Smith

First-Year

Media and Journalism