Letter: ​Pat McCrory is being treated unfairly

Two things have overshadowed the current election for governor in North Carolina: the presidential race and the controversy behind House Bill 2.

Everybody either does not know who is running for governor, or is making a decision based on one judgment. Gov. Pat McCrory is not being given a fair shake due to these two issues.

Other topics need to be addressed before making such an important decision on who should be governor.

If people are worried about the economy, then they need to look at North Carolina’s economy as a whole.

In the four years that Pat McCrory has been governor, the economy has risen despite the “setbacks” from HB2. 300,000 net jobs have been added to North Carolina along with so much improvement on the budget shortfalls that it actually increased to $425 million surplus.

He has even increased the budget for “rainy days” to $1.6 billion, the highest in state history. If that was not even enough, Gov. McCrory has paid off $2.5 billion in unemployment insurance debt to the federal government ahead of schedule.

Education has become a significant issue in the upcoming North Carolina governor’s race. Gov. Pat McCrory has served as a student teacher with his degree in education. He can relate to the problems teachers face today.

A criticism of Gov. McCrory has been that North Carolina is ranked at 41 in the nation for teacher’s pay. Roy Cooper, his opponent, has said that we have fallen to 41. The truth is North Carolina has actually risen to 41 under Pat McCrory and (he) has already made plans to get North Carolina into the low 30s.

Cooper has yet to correct or apologize for this slander and instead puts his focus on (saying) North Carolina should be better. Cooper has been a part of the system that put North Carolina in this situation since 2000 when he was elected attorney general.

Things can be better because things are getting better. Gov. McCrory has led the gains for education in North Carolina, and is the best choice to continue this trend.

Charles Snyder

First-year

Undecided