Letter: ​The Electoral College needs to go

The National Popular Vote compact will make each state’s electors vote for the candidate who wins the popular vote of the whole country.

It already has 165 electoral votes out of the 270 needed: it has been enacted into law by 10 states and the District of Columbia. It needs *only 105* electoral votes more to kick in!

The arrogance of the Electoral College has for too long interfered with the most important American vote. After all, Hillary Clinton won the *real* vote and should be the president-elect at this moment. Now is the time to act — the Electoral College votes on Dec. 19!

Please ask your readers to contact their state representative in the House (the N.C. Senate passed it in 2007) and governor and urge them to enact the National Popular Vote compact. It’s easy: Go to www.nationalpopularvote.com, input (your) zip code; an e-mail will be sent to their state officials.

Then they can go to change.org and sign the petition: “Electoral College: Make Hillary Clinton President on December 19” (Lady Gaga signed it!) — also, Common Cause’s petition at commoncause.org. Democracy, the environment, our very lives, those of children, all non-human animals and even of plants are at stake.

Trump listens to no person or facts and is a terrible danger to the whole world.

We can do this! And Hillary Clinton can be named president-elect on December 19th! What a wonderful exercise of democracy! And you and your readers can be part of it!

Sonja Forman

Massapequa, N.Y.