Letter: U.S. voters need a reality check

When Bailey Aldridge of The Daily Tar Heel recapped the recent "Saturday Night Live" skit of the first presidential debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, both the article and the Saturday Night Live skit were more or less accurate about the events of the debate; however, they also provided insight into a modern trend in American politics.

As evidenced by the Saturday Night Live skit, the United States presidential election is the most publicized and satirized election in the entire world.

Consequently, people have become preoccupied with the entertainment quality of politics (who is the loudest and most controversial), while forgetting that the election has major implications in determining the future of our nation.

In truth, I, too, plead guilty to modern influences. Prior to watching the two presidential debates, I had already given up hope in both the candidates; however, I still decided to watch and laugh at the debate’s stupidity.

In an era where the presidential debates are accessible to almost every citizen, one would think that today’s American voters would be able to make the most informed political decisions in history.

However, this ideal is far from the truth as the candidates cater to what the people want to see rather than focus on the real issues.

In conclusion, I believe that we, the American people, need a reality check. The election is not a two-year long joke; rather it is arguably the most important decision in our society and possibly the world.

David Tan

First-year

Undecided