Luke's Diner coming to Carrboro

Johnny's Gone Fishing in Carrboro will be hosting "Luke's Gone Fishing" all day on Wednesday in preparation for the new episodes of Gilmore Girls to be released next week. 

At long last, “Gilmore Girls” is coming to Carrboro. 

In preparation for the "Gilmore Girls" revival release on Netflix on Nov. 25, Johnny’s Gone Fishing will host a Luke’s Diner-inspired event Wednesday. 

This event, called Luke's Gone Fishing, references Luke’s Diner, the small-town restaurant that Rory and Lorelai Gilmore frequented in the show, looking for cups of morning coffee. 

Susan Siplon, manager of Johnny's Gone Fishing, said Luke's was the type of coffee shop that felt like home and she hopes customers feel that when they walk into this Carrboro coffee shop. 

“Just like an old-fashioned community coffee shop, we’re really similar to Luke’s in that way,” she said. “You know everybody. We have our regulars. They know us and likewise.”

In order to build on this relation with “Gilmore Girls,” Johnny’s Gone Fishing’s event will host a viewing party starting at 6 p.m. For a $5 cover charge, guests can enjoy the final episode of the show and a movie Lorelai and Rory often watched together — all while snacking on popcorn and pizza. 

Nevertheless, the Gilmore celebration will be going on all day at Johnny’s Gone Fishing, starting at 7 a.m. The coffee shop will serve some treats that the show helped market, including Pop Tarts and Twinkies. Siplon said these are treats that diner owner Luke, in the show, would not have approved of, but Lorelai and Rory loved. 

This event was inspired by Netflix’s latest promotional campaign. The streaming site brought everyone a little closer to Stars Hollow — the small Connecticut town where the show takes place — by turning coffee shops around the country into Luke’s Diners. This includes 42nd & Lawrence, Benelux Coffee and Sola Coffee Cafe in Raleigh. At 42nd & Lawrence, baristas even wore plaid shirts and backwards hats, just like Luke wore in the show. 

Although this may not be a nationwide event, some Chapel Hill residents are excited that a coffee shop is hosting a viewing of the show. Krystin Powers, a UNC junior, said she was happy to support a show that was about female empowerment. 

Marium Konsouh, a UNC student, echoed the same sentiment. 

“I like the mother-daughter relationship,” Konsouh said. “They are both really strong female figures.” 

@ThatIsSoGinger