Mildred "Mama Dip" Council honored as community leader with POWER award

Mildred "Mama Dip" Council wins the Power Award.

“So much work has been done for my dad and his children,” Council said. “He had seven children, my mother passed when I was two and he was our everything. He taught us to work and cook.”

Council, the creator and owner of Mama Dip’s restaurant in Chapel Hill, said the help her family received when she was growing up inspired her to help others, especially children in her community.

On Saturday, Nov. 12, Council received the POWER award from nonprofit EmPOWERment Inc for her community work, specifically the community dinners she organizes at elementary schools and churches in Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

Council, who has eight children, said she started organizing community dinners to feed young children who might not get a full meal at home. Since then, other restaurants have followed her example.

“At first we had one or two restaurants and then other restaurants joined in and they had stuff for kids to do, like sing or dance,” she said.

EmPOWERment hosted a gala, called Opening Doors of Opportunity, at the Friday Center — where Council was presented with the award. The organization, which helps with affordable housing in Chapel Hill and Carrboro, hosted the event to celebrate their 20-year anniversary.

“After 20 years, we created the POWER award thinking of a personality in Orange County that exemplifies the qualities of EmPOWERment, which is the ability to help those not as fortunate and advocate for the community we serve, which is low income families,” said Delores Bailey, executive director of EmPOWERment.

About 200 people attended, including N.C. Rep. David Price, Carrboro Board of Aldermen member Bethany Chaney and UNC men’s basketball coach Roy Williams, who presented Council with the award.

Bailey said Council received the award because she demonstrates the same kind of leadership and compassion in the community that the nonprofit values.

“When we looked around, the first person we thought of was Mama Dip,” she said. “So we created the POWER award to honor that spirit.”

Chaney said Council is a well-deserving recipient.

“She is like a hero to so many people across the community,” she said. “I have always admired her, you know, she’s been resilient through a lot of tough times and she has passed down the gift of entrepreneurship to her children, her daughters in particular. Can’t think of a more giving person.”

The gala featured a silent auction, raffles, music, dancing and dinner before Council was presented with the award.

Chaney said she attended the event to support EmPOWERment’s work.

“EmPOWERment is really doing great work in Chapel Hill and in Carrboro and we’re all fortunate to have the organization working on behalf of people who often don’t have a voice or visibility,” she said. “I hope they’re around for another 20 years.”