Rocking around the Tar Heel tree: Chapel Hill kicks off annual Christmas tree lighting

A Christmas tree lighting ceremony took place on Sunday, Nov. 27 at the Univeristy Baptist Church's Memorial garden in Chapel Hill.

“I’ve been singing here for the past four years, I’d say,” he said. “I’m a member of the church and so they ask if I can sing a solo.”

Kennedy then sang “The First Noel” to the crowd of about 100 people that filled the garden.

The church hosted Chapel Hill’s annual tree lighting ceremony on Sunday night.

This year was the 10th time the church held a tree lighting ceremony in the Memorial Garden, located at the intersection of Columbia Street and Franklin Street.

Families, students and town residents gathered to sing carols, visit with Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus, and drink hot chocolate before kicking off the holiday season by tuning the tree’s lights on.

A full choir, accompanied by a pianist, sang holiday themed songs like “Jingle Bells,” “O Christmas Tree” and “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.”

Lyric sheets were passed out to the audience so everyone could sing along to the carols.

As everyone sang, people trickled in to the garden from businesses on Franklin Street.

The crowd then began a count down, and the twinkling tree lights were turned on.

Chapel Hill resident Jeanne Delgado said the event helped bring her family together this year.

“We just moved to Chapel Hill in August,” she said. “This is our first time at the tree lighting in Chapel Hill. We had gone at our hometown and it was kind of a family tradition there.”

People sold hot cocoa and baked goods to benefit the International Justice Mission, a human rights organization that focuses on helping victims of slavery and other forms of oppression.

Chapel Hill Mayor Pam Hemminger kicked off the tree lighting ceremony with a short speech urging everyone to enjoy the festivities, but she asked the crowd to remember that the holidays are about kindness and giving.

When asked what her favorite part of the ceremony is, Hemminger said she loved seeing all the families come out to the event.

“It’s just nice. The atmosphere is wonderful to start the holiday season off,” she said.

Chapel Hill Town Council Member Michael Parker, who has previously attended the last two tree lighting ceremonies, agreed.

“I just think it’s great we’re able to do our very own tree lighting,” he said. “It’s great to see all the kids come out.”

Parker said the singing is his favorite part of the tree lighting ceremony, as long as he doesn’t have to sing in front of the crowd.

As the tree lights sparkled, Delgado, standing on the outskirts of the garden, said the event indicates how welcoming Chapel Hill is for everyone who lives in town.

“It’s just another example of Chapel Hill’s spirit and community,” she said.