Student Congress plans for spring at fall semester's last committee meetings

On Tuesday evening, Student Congress committees met for the last time before winter break to discuss new bills and propose future plans for the spring semester. 

Rules and Judiciary Committee 

Phillip Jester, chairperson of the Rules and Judiciary Committee, began the meeting by explaining the lull in Student Congress due to the recent election, both nationally and within student government regarding the Graduate and Professional Student Federation. However, Jester proposed a new energy for the spring semester. 

“In the spring, I would like to pass a lot of legislation … let’s come up with some things that need to be changed at the University that are widely known,” Jester said.

The committee passed a new concurrent resolution proposed by representative Lucky Prachith, a sophomore member of the committee. The resolution discussed an effort by Student Congress to support and affirm UNC sensitivity trainings regarding mental health, eating disorders, LGBTQ+ allyship and interpersonal violence prevention and response. 

“It is about bringing an issue to the public sphere and actually doing something about it,” Prachith said.

The resolution said members of Student Congress should make an effort to attend at least one of the on-campus trainings. The resolution did not say the trainings would be mandatory, only that Student Congress should encourage its members to attend.

After the resolution was passed, the committee discussed ideas for future bills concerning handicap accessibility and improvements on local district forums.

Finance Committee

The Finance Committee meeting began with a report from the Student Body Treasurer Harry Edwards about new application fees and a rise in tuition.

“Tuition is going up two percent for undergraduates in-state and out-of-state, but that only applies to incoming students,” Edwards said. 

The committee discussed new special reports members will work on and present next semester. The reports will include a recap on appropriations given out in the last cycle, problems and solutions concerning the Student Activities Fund Office and a guide for treasurers attempting to receive funding from the Finance Committee.

“This way, we hit the ground running when we get back before midterms start up,” said Ben Albert, chairperson of the finance committee. 

The rest of the meeting dealt with proposed edits to Title V financial regulations, concerning subsequent appropriations and how the Finance Committee will alter their appropriations process to make it more approachable for organizations.

Oversight and Advocacy Committee

Sarah Hudak, the chairperson of the Oversight and Advocacy committee, said the committee plans to create surveys for the student body to be administered by the various select committees and other members of Student Congress.

The survey, constructed by Hudak, asks graduate and undergraduate students their feelings on topics such as campus health, curriculum and campus climate, so that the committee can better understand the issues they should be addressing.

“If you need to vent to anyone, vent to me “ Hudak said.