'Tis the season for ballers at UNC

UNC vs. Long Beach State 11/15/16
UNC vs. Long Beach State 11/15/16

Well, it’s the beginning of basketball season — which means it’s Carolina’s time to shine. Whether you are a fan of this sport or not, you can’t help but get excited about UNC basketball. Class of 2014 graduate Chandler Rowland remembers school spirit being huge.

“I remember every year on the day of the Duke game, no one could concentrate in class,” she said. “I’ve never been more excited. And when you finally got into the Dean Dome, and they lowered the lights for the team entrance, my heart would drop.”

UNC basketball brings people together to unite against a common enemy.

“The way it brings our school together around this common subject and watching our peers work their ass off to be the best is what I love about basketball here,” junior economics major Chad Kalil said.

With games happening multiple times a week, our fans are even more present up and down Franklin Street. Whether you’re watching the games in bars, in the Dome or at home, you’re having fun cheering on the Heels.

November is especially magical for UNC fans.

“It’s the most wonderful time of the year when football and basketball season overlap,” said junior biology major Kennedy Adams.

This is so true. Basketball is happening all week and we still get to watch NFL football on Sundays. Amazing.

Besides the fact that watching the games is exciting, there are other (basic bitch) perks to basketball season. You can wear jerseys to parties instead of getting a cute outfit together. People can post pictures in the Dean Dome with basketball puns. Bandwagon Tar Heels come out to play. There is yet another reason to hashtag #GDTBATH on everything.

Something about this sport has an effect on everyone. Basketball is magical here, and we are lucky we get to call ourselves one of the best in the nation.

“Basketball in Chapel Hill is revered like the most sacred of holidays. It’s one of the only things that can take a high-stress, cold Tuesday in the winter and transform it into a Friday in the summertime,” junior journalism major Gabriella Bulgarelli said. “People leave their classes, roads are shut down and the whole world kind of stops.”

Listen y’all. We’re the best, we’re going to excel this season and we’re already doing well. Get out to games if you can and always sport that Carolina Blue to show pride for your team. Even if you’re not big on sports, you can be proud anyway because you’re a Tar Heel.

@TayGreyMay

swerve@dailytarheel.com