UNC first-year uses safety pins to make a statement post-election

PWAD major, Sofia Hutchens, wears a safety pin to show solidarity with minority students at UNC.

First-year Sophia Hutchens wants to get it right. 

She sits in the Student Union, hands shaking a bit as she searches for the right words to explain her role as a white female ally in the current political chaos. Her black notebook with a “Love Trumps Hate” sticker is on the table in front of her, and a safety pin is attached to her sweater, right above her heart. 

She’d been thinking about what to say all last night, filling up pages of her notebook with words and ideas. She’s still not sure if she should even be doing the interview.

“I want to emphasize that our job is to listen,” Hutchens said in reference to white women. “I actually felt kind of weird about being in the article because of that. I’m saying don’t take the spotlight because you’re white, and then I’m a white woman — taking the spotlight.”

The safety pin Hutchens wears is a symbol of solidarity against homophobia, racism and religious discrimination. The movement has gained momentum in the past week as people try to find a way to combat the hate crimes that have grown in number and intensity since the election of Donald Trump, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center. 

“Calls to the Suicide Prevention Lifeline and the Trevor Project have spiked since the election,” said Kristen Witkemper, a senior psychology major. She urges everyone to show empathy and compassion to those around them, regardless of whether they choose to wear a safety pin or not. 

People who wear the safety pin say it is a way to show minority groups that they are there to help and support them in any way.

The movement got its start after Great Britain left the European Union. After Brexit, British people saw an increase in xenophobic speech and acts, and a woman on Twitter suggested wearing a safety pin to show support.

Others called the movement slacktivism, saying that wearing a safety pin does not really change anything. It’s just a symbol — with none of the action.

“I think that doing something visible like putting a safety pin on yourself is a good idea in theory, but in practice it has to be about more than that,” said Courtney Sams, president of the Young Democrats and political science major. “Dismantling racism has to go beyond something that you wear and be something that you actively try to do every day.” 

Hutchens said she agrees completely that just wearing a safety pin is not enough. She is an active ally, donating to multiple causes and volunteering her time. 

She likes the silent support the safety pin offers though.

“So this is a silent invitation,” Hutchens said. “If you need to talk, I’m here. If you need support, I’m here. If you need me to walk home with you, I’m here. If somebody is bothering you, come up to me. I played rugby. I did wrestling. I can handle it.”

Hutchens said she found out about the safety pin movement through her mom, who found it online. Hutchens mentioned a group on Facebook called Pantsuit Nation, a not-so-secret group page in support of Hillary Clinton, which is currently up to almost 3.7 million users. The page is now being used for political organization and conversation and to discuss ideas such as the safety pin movement.

Hutchens said she plans to wear her safety pin for the next four years or until the movement loses its meaning.

“I like having a visual," she said. "So if you need somebody, you know where to go.”

@allison_melrose

swerve@dailytarheel.com