UNC volleyball's seniors shine in sweep of Wake Forest

Taylor Treacy (20) and Beth Nordhorn (3) go up for the block against N.C. State.

Before a 3-0 win over Wake Forest on Saturday, the five seniors met with Coach Joe Sagula to brainstorm how to rearrange the lineup so all five seniors could start. Tatiana Durr and Taylor Treacy had to play different positions from their normal spots, but all five players started. Treacy set the tone with the first point of the match on a thunderous spike.

“It felt great getting that first point,” Treacy said.

“I was on the outside, which is not normally what happens. I went up and swung and good things happened.”

Treacy led the Tar Heels (27-3, 19-1 ACC) with 11.5 points in the win over the Demon Deacons (9-22, 5-15 ACC). She was helped by fellow redshirt senior Hayley McCorkle, who tied for second on the team with 9.5 points.

Senior starters Abigail Curry and Sheila Doyle provided a big boost for the Tar Heels with their strong defensive play.

Playing a different position, Durr shined for the Tar Heels, finishing with five kills, nine digs and a block with some great hustle plays that didn’t go on the scoreline.

Curry finished a great UNC career — in which she played every set — by getting the win on senior day.

“Obviously I am very emotional, but I am surprised I didn’t cry,” Curry said. “I am just so excited for what is to come next, and I am so content with what we have done with these years here and so happy with these girls I have played with.

“I am happy and excited for the future.”

The near future will include a trip to the NCAA Tournament, where the Tar Heels have a chance to win their first national championship in program history.

The seniors have experience playing deep in the tournament, as the 2014 team made it all the way to the Elite Eight. This year the Tar Heels hope to have even more success, and could behind the play of their seniors.

“I’m really looking forward to the tournament,” Treacy said. “We have so many more games to play, and I just feel excited.”

The proudest Tar Heel was Sagula, who admired the accomplishments of the senior class.

“They’ve seen it all and they’ve had a lot of success in their careers so far, and we hope to keep it going,” he said. “They’ve been to an Elite Eight, won two conference titles, they’ve been through some tough losses and some great victories for this program.

“They’re great people and they are why we coach because they reflect all the good in sports, both as students and athletes.”

@christrenkle2