View from the Hill: SNL addresses Trump's win, attempts to give hope

Following Tuesday's presidential election, "Saturday Night Live" started with a cathartic performance by Hillary Clinton (Kate McKinnon), who played a somber piano and sang “Hallelujah” by the late singer and songwriter Leonard Cohen.

The opening served as a stirring tribute to Cohen, who died last week, as well as a personal concession speech for Clinton, who lost the election to Donald Trump.

Clinton sang about the bitter loss and the familiar feeling of being so close and coming short.

via GIPHY

When Clinton ended the song, she turned to the audience and delivered a final message. 

via GIPHY

“Hallelujah” was not Saturday Night Live’s only political offering of the weekend. Host Dave Chappelle addressed Trump’s win in his monologue.

Chappelle said America has elected “an internet troll as our president.”

via GIPHY

He also joked that becoming rich has changed him and he looks forward to his upcoming tax breaks under Trump’s administration.

Later on in the night, the cast performed a sketch called “Election Night” in which all cast members — except Chappelle and special guest Chris Rock — are surprised about Trump’s win.

Throughout the sketch, the cast makes excuses for why Trump is winning.

via GIPHY

As Trump’s win becomes more inevitable, cast member Cecily Strong comes to the realization that America might be racist. 

via GIPHY

The sketch ended with cast member Beck Bennett claiming Trump becoming president is the most shameful thing America has ever done.

Chapelle and Rock respond by bursting into laughter.

via GIPHY

As much of America learns to cope with the reality of a Donald Trump presidency, SNL proved that it will strive to be a guiding light amid this political uncertainty. 

@kentomcdonald